Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest has Dropped Summer Vacation Travel Prices

dfwskier
Aviator A

When first loaded they were about 300% higher than those WGA fares in the month prior to June 7.

In my brief look, it appears they Southwest has cut those prices by 50% to 60%. That's not as good as the prices available in May, but it is a whole lot better than the prices that were replaced.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Southwest has Dropped Summer Vacation Travel Prices

bec102896
Aviator A

Looks like flight prices are down across the board $79 AUS to TPA in March and April haven't seen a deal that good in forever. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

image0.png

I wish!! Someone ping me when flights drop for PHL - Vegas 🙂 I'm lucky to get a one way flight for $204-208ish. Every day is like the above.

My Tulsa flights in May did drop slightly though - they are around $300 RT and I was able to rebook both of them!

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

Jessica, try booking it as a one way multi city trip PHL/DAL/LAS for example.

That way if your first flight is late, SW know you are coming for the second, and if you miss it,

you'll be protected and not treated as a no show

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I have a LAX-DEN flight coming up in less than 2 weeks, price dropped from $190 when originally booked to $79. Definitely seeing some good deals out there now.

--TheMiddleSeat

Kbridge
Explorer C

How do you take advantage of lower rates on a flight already booked? Is there anyway to do it online or do you have to call?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

jksobonya
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

That way if your first flight is late, SW know you are coming for the second, and if you miss it,

Thanks! This is something I need to start taking advantage of since all of my flights to LAS have stops now (can't get a nonstop anymore). If I do this, I'd get credit for 2 flights, correct? 

What happens with checked baggage on a multi-city itinerary? Do I have to get it from baggage claim, recheck it, and go back through security at X, or can I check it all the way through to Y?

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

Thanks! This is something I need to start taking advantage of since all of my flights to LAS have stops now (can't get a nonstop anymore). If I do this, I'd get credit for 2 flights, correct? 

That's correct

What happens with checked baggage on a multi-city itinerary? Do I have to get it from baggage claim, recheck it, and go back through security at X, or can I check it all the way through to Y?

I'm not absolutely sure that, but I think the bags get checked to the final destination since everything in on the same confirmation number.

--Jessicaimes  

They key for you would be to find a connection city that is cheap to get to from PHL 

Then try building a multi city itinerary. This would not work in "normal" times as the two flights would be a lot more expensive than a simple PHL/LAS routing. These are not normal times, and it seems that SW has made significant price cuts in flights that are two weeks+ out.

Don't know if it will work for you, but since you are starting with high PHL/LAS prices anyway, it might might be worthwhile to take a look

Good luck

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

--Jessica

You'll have to ask the agent to "check luggage through" to the LAS destination, they won't automatically go all the way, without asking for this the luggage would be delivered to the intermediate city. 

Think of it as making a round-trip flight but all in one day and you don't return to where you started. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.