Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest ruined my wedding night

wmvgjf1
Explorer C

My wife an I booked a flight with southwest the day after our wedding to travel to our honeymoon. 

Towards the end of our reception, i got a text from southwest saying that the flight was cancelled. No options were given for rescheduling or re-booking. Since we were scheduled to fly out early the next day, this caused us to panic and start looking for options. I spent four hours on my wedding night on hold with southwest and was never able to speak with anyone. I never received re-booking information. 

Eventually, we were forced to stay in town an extra day and fly out with Delta the following day. Southwest's incompetence cost us a whole day of our honeymoon and about $800 when we had to book another flight and an extra day in a hotel room. 

Despite reaching out multiple times to customer service, we have yet to even receive a refund for the cancelled flight. As a customer, I have never been treated so poorly by any company. If someone from Southwest is reading this please make it right. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Southwest ruined my wedding night

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If Southwest cancelled the flight you are eligible for a refund back to the original form of payment.  Some phone agents are better trained than others so I always recommend sending a message with your passenger names and confirmation number(s) along with a refund request in writing.  Use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

wmvgjf1
Explorer C

I've already done that. The reply I received said they could give me a $150 LUV voucher...which I though was rather pitiful in light of the circumstances. 

Also, I'm legally entitled to a refund. This should be a simple issue so saying "some agents are better than others" seems like a pretty weak excuse. 

I've already spent hours on this and haven't gotten anything close to a satisfactory response. I'm going to keep trying but my experience so far has not given me confidence in Southwest's customer service. Like I said earlier, this has been the worst experience I've ever had as a customer. If you're reading this and considering flying southwest...don't. They will treat you terribly and not respond to your complaints.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No excuse was being made, I was simply directing you towards potentially better outcomes.  It doesn't take hours to send a message.  If you stick to the facts and avoid all the unnecessary commentary you'll have better luck. 

"xxx passengers on confirmation number xxxx had a flight cancelled.  I would like a refund back to my credit card (assuming you paid with a credit card) instead of a travel fund.  Thank you."

If you don't like that method you can actually follow the directions in the refund policy which include writing a letter and sending to:

Southwest Airlines
Refunds Department
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

This sounds like a nightmare, especially on your wedding night - I'm sorry that happened to you.

Phone lines are notoriously busy since the pandemic started in 2020 - I always have luck reaching out to Southwest via private message on social media. They have always gotten back to me same-day with a resolution.

I do find it strange that they cancelled your flight and did not try to reschedule it. I suppose it can happen, but in my experience they always try to put me on the next available flight out. Considering you say your flight was supposed to leave "early" the next day, it's even stranger that Southwest did not simply move you to a flight leaving later that day. 

--Jessica

Tagreen
Explorer C

Southwest has changed over the years.  They used to be known for exceptional service but they don’t seem to care anymore.  More concerned with social issues than customer issues

floridaguy
Aviator C

I agree.  The complaints are starting up again at MCO regarding family boarding, excessive number of carry on items and size of carry on items.