Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest says I cancelled my reservation, but I didn’t.

Redrmangus2
Explorer B

Can someone people help me??

I made two bookings on Southwest for me and my fiancé. 

1. OAK-MDW-DTW

2. DTW-STL-SJC

About a week before my reservation (1), I had to split my booking from my fiancé since I had to go to LGA. 1 day before the flight I got an email saying that I had cancelled my booking. I did not. I called Southwest and they said that it was done from Southwest.com and not from their end. Regardless they rebooked it. It happened again 2 more times, once even after I checked in. All times Southwest saying that I had cancelled it. I even changed my RR account and email passwords. I had to fly another airline. 

NOW before reservation (2), which is under a completely different booking code, just cancelled. Again saying I had cancelled and they the cancellation came from Southwest.com. I had them rebook but I’m not confident it will stay fixed. 

Has anybody else had this problem? 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Southwest says I cancelled my reservation, but I didn’t.

bec102896
Aviator A

Maybe someone has hacked your email where you get the confirmation receipt? Maybe change your email password

maybe reach out to customer relations by email and see if they can pull the IP address and see where it is being canceled from. 

edit: we’re your ever banned by Southwest for some reason like during the mask mandate or did you make double bookings 2 or more departing flights at the same time?

Redrmangus2
Explorer B

I changed my passwords and email associated after the second cancellation. The last two cancellations are linked to a completely different email account. IT wasn’t able to tell me an IP/Location of the cancellation. 

Never banned from the airline nor had duplicate bookings. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You don't specify the timing of the flights, but Southwest will auto cancel reservations if the system does not think you can make the flight. For example, having two flights departing from different cities at the same time. How much time do you have for layover at DTW? Anything else about the schedule that would make the system question your ability to complete the flights? 

--TheMiddleSeat

Redrmangus2
Explorer B

My layovers were stop overs. 

OAK - MDW (6 days) - DTW (10 days)

DTW - STL (4 hours) - SJC 

The only thing that I thought could have caused it was Southwest having to split my OAK-DTW booking from my fiancé and maybe not removing me from properly from my initial one causing a double booking. BUT the second booking (DTW-STL-SJC) is a completely different booking code and remained untouched since we’re flying back together and it still cancelled me. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I have to admit that I am confused. What you describe required 3 tickets (valid flights) Connections of greater than 4 hours are not valid and are not ticketed

@Redrmangus2 wrote:

My layovers were stop overs. 

OAK - MDW (6 days) - DTW (10 days)

DTW - STL (4 hours) - SJC 

The only thing that I thought could have caused it was Southwest having to split my OAK-DTW booking from my fiancé and maybe not removing me from properly from my initial one causing a double booking. BUT the second booking (DTW-STL-SJC) is a completely different booking code and remained untouched since we’re flying back together and it still cancelled me. 

OAK - MDW - flight one

MDW 6 days) - DTW - flight two

(10 days) DTW - STL (4 hours) - SJC - flight three (presuming the 4 hours was a valid connection and did not require it's own ticket).

Redrmangus2
Explorer B

Single booking.  For both.

First one: multi-city booking.  MDW and DTW set as final destinations.

Second one: On-way booking.  Exactly 4 hours in between flights.  So it makes the threshold for a single booking.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Redrmangus2 wrote:

Single booking.  For both.

First one: multi-city booking.  MDW and DTW set as final destinations.

Second one: On-way booking.  Exactly 4 hours in between flights.  So it makes the threshold for a single booking.

And all of these times your fiancé's ticket was fine?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Redrmangus2
Explorer B

Booking 1 was originally OAK-MDW-DTW for both me and my fiance.  I had to change the booking for myself only, so Southwest Customer Service split the bookings and mine was changed to OAK-MDW-LGA.  Mine was cancelled 3x.  My fiance's booking (original itinerary) was not cancelled at all.  I had Southwest Customer Service confirm each time the cancelled booking was rebooked, that there was not a double booking in the system and that I was removed from the original itinerary.

Booking 2 (DTW-STL-SJC) was cancelled for both of us.

dfwskier
Aviator A

What was method of payment?

points, $$, companion pass?