Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

THANK YOU SWA workers! Those of you that may be in a layoff after today, please hang in there.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Today the funding to keep workers on from the government will end.  As much as I see complaints right now from people on call waiting issues, flight change issues, and so on, I can only imagine what it would be like if we didn't have the full staff that is on duty now.  I want to thank you for holding us together as well as you have in these crazy circumstances that are no fault our yours or SWA.  I just want to say, please, hang in there.  I think the general public is about to find out how important having every SWA team member really is.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: THANK YOU SWA workers! Those of you that may be in a layoff after today, please hang in there.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I guess you didn't hear the announcement 3-4 weeks ago that Southwest will not be furloughing any employees.

The streak is intact -- it's hasn't furloughed any employees EVER.

Re: THANK YOU SWA workers! Those of you that may be in a layoff after today, please hang in there.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

No, I hadn't.  Thanks for the update and glad SWA cares as much about its employees as it does it flyers.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Today the funding to keep workers on from the government will end.  As much as I see complaints right now from people on call waiting issues, flight change issues, and so on, I can only imagine what it would be like if we didn't have the full staff that is on duty now.  I want to thank you for holding us together as well as you have in these crazy circumstances that are no fault our yours or SWA.  I just want to say, please, hang in there.  I think the general public is about to find out how important having every SWA team member really is.  

Southwest management was able to reduce it's staff by about 28% (nearly 17,000 employees) through voluntary exit or extended unpaid time off packages, so there won't be any furloughs in the immediate future.

No furloughs for Southwest in 2020, thanks to nearly 17K voluntary departures

jksobonya
Aviator A

Southwest is hanging in there! It may be by a thread, but they are hanging in there 😉 

--Jessica