Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ticket Refund and usage time

TravelNoobs
Explorer C

I purchased 3 tickets for my friends and myself. The event we need to attend later this March in California was canceled due to the Coronavirus outbreak. I then canceled our SW tickets. 

Two of us have another event to attend in June and plan to use the travel fund from this go round. Our one other friend though has to plans to travel at all. 

So a couple of questions. 

1. Will the ticket be a sunk cost if the one loner friend doesn't complete the travel by the deadline? 

2. Will the remainder balance we sunk cost if the new ticket costs less than the old ticket?

3. Can we transfer the funds anywhere? As points for future travels?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Ticket Refund and usage time

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TravelNoobs wrote:

I purchased 3 tickets for my friends and myself. The event we need to attend later this March in California was canceled due to the Coronavirus outbreak. I then canceled our SW tickets. 

Two of us have another event to attend in June and plan to use the travel fund from this go round. Our one other friend though has to plans to travel at all. 

So a couple of questions. 

1. Will the ticket be a sunk cost if the one loner friend doesn't complete the travel by the deadline? 

2. Will the remainder balance we sunk cost if the new ticket costs less than the old ticket?

3. Can we transfer the funds anywhere? As points for future travels?

Thank you.

Hello.

Travel funds are good for one year from the date the ticket that was cancelled was originally bought (travel must be completed by that date).  It would be less if travel funds were used to buy that ticket.  

If you buy a ticket that costs less than  the value of your travel fund, then the balance of the travel fund remains in your account and may be used to buy other tickets.

Travel funds can only be used to buy SW tickets.

Travel funds do expire at their expiration dates. After expiration, you may be able to convert

an expired travel fund into a SW voucher usable by anyone for a fee of $100. This is an unstated policy, and thus is subject to change.

Re: Ticket Refund and usage time

gsking
Aviator C

And...travel funds need to be used by the originally ticketed passenger.  So, even though you bought the tickets, they are permanently attached to their respective traveler. 

(The unwritten $100 waiver may unlock them, but I'm not aware of it).

If you use the travel funds for a more expensive ticket, then cancel that ticket, the additional cash you spent on the second ticket will revert to a travel fund with the ORIGINAL expiration date.  So "new money" can get tagged as "old" if you're not careful.