Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Trading ticket allowed?

Drparker27
Explorer C

I booked a trip through Southwest Vacations for myself and my daughter.  After booking, my husband and my daughter's friend decided they want to go.  I booked their tickets separately, but the return flight was not available that I previously booked,  so I had to book theirs for a flight that departs 2 hours later than ours. Would a ticket agent allow my husband and daughter to switch tickets? That way he can fly home with me and my daughter can fly home with her friend on the later flight. They have the same last name if that helps.  Just wondering if that is allowed if we do it the day we check-in for vacation to have them trade the returning flight ticket? We leave in a month if that matters.

Thanks for any help!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Trading ticket allowed?

dfwskier
Aviator A

The official answer to your question is no. 

The rule is the same for every airline. Every airline requires a passenger to travel on his/her own ticket. Besides, to clear security, you have to present your own ticket.

once past security, what you do is up to you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

No. Giving your boarding pass to someone else specifically violates the contract of carriage. Those are the rules you agree to when purchasing a ticket. Don't do it. 

"Transferability. Boarding Passes are nontransferable unless explicitly stated on the

Boarding Pass. Carrier is not liable to the holder of a Boarding Pass for use of such

Boarding Pass when presented by a person other than the person to whom it was

issued. If a Boarding Pass is used by a person other than the person to whom it was

issued, Carrier shall not be liable for the loss, destruction, damage or delay of such

unauthorized person’s Baggage or other personal property or the death or injury of

such unauthorized person arising from or in connection with such unauthorized use. "

--TheMiddleSeat

Drparker27
Explorer C

Wow! That's not even what I was asking. I would never trade my ticket without it going through the ticket agent. I'm asking if a ticket agent could trade our tickets when we check-in so that my daughter can fly home with her friend? Can ticket agents switch them or is that not allowed? I would certainly never do something fraudulent and I'd be the biggest idiot to post about it if I were. I don't understand where you'd even get that idea from my question? It was a simple question about electronic ticket name change and nothing more. Good grief. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'll be more direct with my answer this time;

Once a ticket is issued in a passenger's name, it cannot be changed.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier beat me to it.

Same answer as before... no.

Again, here's the contract of carriage:

"Tickets are Nontransferable. Tickets, and any travel credit issued for unused Tickets,
are nontransferable unless specified explicitly on the Ticket. Carrier is not liable to the
holder of a Ticket for use or refund of such Ticket when presented by a person other
than the person to whom the Ticket was issued. If a Ticket is used by a person other
than the person to whom it was issued, Carrier shall not be liable for the loss,
destruction, damage, or delay of such unauthorized person’s Baggage or other
personal property or the death or injury of such unauthorized person arising from or in
connection with such unauthorized use"

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

Were all the plane tickets booked through Southwest Vacations, or was it just yours and your daughters, and the other two were purchased on Southwest.com? Technically, Southwest Vacations and Southwest are two different things, so if the tickets were booked through both Southwest Vacations and Southwest that will only complicate things further. However, considering the situation I don't see what harm it would do to reach out to Southwest Vacations and/or Southwest to see if there is anything they can do about this, but generally once a ticket is issued in a passenger's name, it can't be modified after the fact. 

Southwest: https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

Southwest Vacations: https://www.southwestvacations.com/general/customer-care-and-travel-information

In addition to the above, I'd recommend contacting Southwest via social media if possible (do not call) as they tend to respond quickly to direct messages in my experience.  

--Jessica

Drparker27
Explorer C

I called and the wait time was 97 minutes so I thought I would ask here. I have never encountered this as I usually book everyone at once,  but this was a mother/daughter trip and now the other 2 are able to go. I did book my daughter and I through Southwest Vacations and the other 2 tickets at Southwest.com. I called the resort and they were able to add the extra two guests to the room so no issues there. I guess the return flight we had was booked up as it wasn't an option when I purchased the other 2 tickets. Just trying to accommodate everyone and thought it reasonable to ask people that may know if the ticket agent at the airport can switch them. Next thing I know I'm being advised to not participate in fraudulent activity to trade tickets and that was never a thought. The last thing I'd ever do is put my daughter or myself in a compromising position or illegal situation.  I wanted it done electronically so the correct names show up on the flight logs. I was willing to pay for the change,  but I didn't know if it was even possible and I do not want to sit on hold for 97 minutes to find out. Strange how a simple question turns into ticket mayhem..Lol.

I'll try reaching out through Social Media as you suggested. 

Thank you for your kind response and have a blessed day!

@jksobonya wrote:

Were all the plane tickets booked through Southwest Vacations, or was it just yours and your daughters, and the other two were purchased on Southwest.com? Technically, Southwest Vacations and Southwest are two different things, so if the tickets were booked through both Southwest Vacations and Southwest that will only complicate things further. However, considering the situation I don't see what harm it would do to reach out to Southwest Vacations and/or Southwest to see if there is anything they can do about this, but generally once a ticket is issued in a passenger's name, it can't be modified after the fact. 

Southwest: https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

Southwest Vacations: https://www.southwestvacations.com/general/customer-care-and-travel-information

In addition to the above, I'd recommend contacting Southwest via social media if possible (do not call) as they tend to respond quickly to direct messages in my experience.  

--Jessica

@jksobonya wrote:

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The only option you have at this point is to go through the flight change process to move people to the same flight.  You mentioned the desired flight is full so you would need to wait until seats open up.  Just keep checking, especially close to departure date.  You would be responsible for any difference in fare though so it might be a bit expensive if the change is made close to departure.

Sorry if your original intent was misinterpreted.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

The only option you have at this point is to go through the flight change process to move people to the same flight.  You mentioned the desired flight is full so you would need to wait until seats open up.  Just keep checking, especially close to departure date.  You would be responsible for any difference in fare though so it might be a bit expensive if the change is made close to departure.

Sorry if your original intent was misinterpreted.

--TheMiddleSeat

TL:DR - not exactly they way you were asking but call them up and see if they can just be changed under the normal rules.

Q: is there a courtesy option to exchange tickets? A: No

Q: can the tickets be changed under the regular rules? A: Yes subject to availability of seats and difference in pricing.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.