Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Trading ticket allowed?

gsking
Aviator C

No one is suggesting you wanted to do something illegal, merely pointing out the subtleties in how the system works.

There is no ID check to get on the plane.   Twins booked on different flights could get on either flight, and no one would know.   

Or Bob and Bob Jr. 

Or father and son with different names. 

Or mother and son,  both named Pat. 

Or friends of the same gender. 

Or maybe even Butch and Suzie... not sure they even see your first name when you board the plane.   Or that they pay attention. 

The point is that it's technically doable,  but not allowed according to the rules.     

Drparker27
Explorer C

@gsking wrote:

No one is suggesting you wanted to do something illegal, merely pointing out the subtleties in how the system works.

There is no ID check to get on the plane.   Twins booked on different flights could get on either flight, and no one would know.   

Or Bob and Bob Jr. 

Or father and son with different names. 

Or mother and son,  both named Pat. 

Or friends of the same gender. 

Or maybe even Butch and Suzie... not sure they even see your first name when you board the plane.   Or that they pay attention. 

The point is that it's technically doable,  but not allowed according to the rules.     

This doesn't seem like an implication to you, "No. Giving your boarding pass to someone else specifically violates the contract of carriage. Those are the rules you agree to when purchasing a ticket. Don't do it."? I took it as such and found it odd considering I was asking about the ticket agent switching the ticket not me. 

It doesn't matter what other people choose to do, what matters is simply answering a question.  "Can this be done by a ticket agent" and a simple answer would be "no, no name changes are permitted," wouldn't it? Instead, I'm being told not to do something I never planned to do to begin with.  It doesn't matter at this point, a kind person responded and I'll take care of it. 

gsking
Aviator C

I suggest you reread the original post.  No one suggested you should do something illegal, or insinuated you wanted to.   You took it that way,  and got bent out of shape. 

My opinion of the rules doesn't matter.   Your opinion does.   I speed, but I wouldn't tell you to.... unless you were in the left lane. 

I merely laid it out for you with clear examples.   

Frankly,  if I had a twin,  I wouldn't worry about switching tickets with him.   Or maybe even my brother.   Guess that makes me a heathenous scofflaw.  Oh well... it's a situation I've never had to consider.   

As recently as 1999, they used to sell tickets in bulk and hand them out at the airport.   So apparently before some terrorists ruined it for everyone,  this sort of thing was probably not an issue.   So I don't find the mere mention of swapping tickets at the gate to be heresy.   

I do find it unfortunate that it costs so much to do it by the book.   Whether this is purely a profit motive by the airlines,  or driven by FAA regulations,  is beyond my pay grade. 

Good luck and safe travels. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I have concerns with one passenger giving their ticket to another as this breaks down the entire security platform.

Checking a little says that this is a Federal offense and trying to board as someone else, no matter how innocent the reasoning may be, is a problem.

I've called Southwest and alerted them to this issue and this thread.  There are enough gaps in security without you creating more.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I've called Southwest and alerted them to this issue and this thread.  There are enough gaps in security without you creating more.

Gee, good thing you let them know about a post from March 2021 that only came back to life because a bot created a spam reply to the thread.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, it is.

This nonsense needs to be addressed.  I am in favor of a lifetime ban on air travel in the US to the offender(s).