Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Transfer Flight Credit From Minor

nooms22
Explorer C

Hi, so, is there really no way around transferring credit from a minor to ticket purchaser? My niece was supposed to come out to visit me from another state, but her parents have since cancelled. I know that flight credit doesn't expire, but her parents seem very against the idea of her ever coming out here, so saving it under her name, it would not be used. I purchased under Wanna Get Away, so I know it's technically nontransferable, but is there really no exception for minors? She's 10, she did not purchase the ticket, I don't think that she should be getting the flight credit. Thanks for the help in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Transfer Flight Credit From Minor

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry, but the Wanna Get Away  Rule is pretty specific and unyielding - travel funds generated from such fares may only be used by the ticked traveler.

The only exception I am aware of is if the traveler dies, then the funds are refunded to the original method of payment.

I have heard (but have not verified) that some people have used non changeable travel funds to buy a Wanna Get Away Plus ticket, and then cancelled it  - thus generating a travel fund that can be used by anyone.

Does it really work? I dunno, but you could use one of your own travel funds to buy a Plus ticket and then cancel it to see if it works. If it doesn't, you still have your original travel fund to use in the future.

Re: Transfer Flight Credit From Minor

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

I have heard (but have not verified) that some people have used non changeable travel funds to buy a Wanna Get Away Plus ticket, and then cancelled it  - thus generating a travel fund that can be used by anyone.

Does it really work? I dunno, but you could use one of your own travel funds to buy a Plus ticket and then cancel it to see if it works. If it doesn't, you still have your original travel fund to use in the future.

I have tried it (without the intention to actually transfer funds) and it worked it gave me the option to transfer after I bought a WGA+ ticket with the standard WGA funds