Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Credits turned into LUV Vouchers that expired

MrsResseguie
Explorer C

In 2020, due to Covid, I had 5-6 trips canceled. This money was issued to me as Travel Funds, back when they still expired. I called and called before they expired and on July 5, 2022, less than 3 weeks before announcing that Travel Funds no longer expire, $642.98 were turned into LUV Vouchers *with expiration dates. TheseLUV Vouchers did expire this Feb. I called and emailed several times *before they expired and begged that they be turned *back into Travel Funds as these DON'T expire any more. They refuse. I got a final decision email yesterday that they will not do the right thing and allow me to use over $640 that I have already paid Southwest for future flights. 

Why do they refuse to do the right thing? Do I have any hope of them ever allowing me to use the money I've already given them for actual flights on their airline?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Travel Credits turned into LUV Vouchers that expired

jksobonya
Aviator A

You should have used your LUV vouchers to book a flight, then cancel the flight. Then you would have had travel funds that never expired.

You don't need SWA Customer Service for that. 

--Jessica

MrsResseguie
Explorer C

How would I have known to do that?

dfwskier
Aviator A

You knew from your 2020 experience that cancelled tickets result in travel funds.

You knew you could buy tickets with vouchers 

2+2=4

Sorry, but it really is that simple.

MrsResseguie
Explorer C

You are quite rude.

I thought 2020 was an all-around anomaly *and assumed that refunds for tickets purchased with LUV Vouchers with an expiration date would be refunded to that method of "payment" and wouldn't help me at all, actually.

I sure wish this would have been mentioned to me, by Southwest, as an easy solution to all the back-and-forth of the past 3 years.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Look, I am sorry you are out your money. I really am.

The other option is you could have flown anywhere in the the time you had either travel funds or vouchers. 

Sorry about being brutally honest again, but you knew about the expiration dates and did nothing.

MrsResseguie
Explorer C

Right. Life has changed a LOT since early 2020 and I haven't been traveling quarterly (or more) for work like I did then. So I wasn't able to use them. All I ask is that they do the right thing and allow me to use the money I gave them for travel.

dfwskier
Aviator A

What is the definition definition of "doing the right thing?"

In most of society it means

1) following the rules ad laws

2) doing what you say you are going to do.

By that definition, Southwest did the right thing.

What happens when

a) you don't feed your parking meter and it expires --- you get a ticket

b) you don't file your tax return in time -- IRS says pay a penalty

c) you run a stop sign and a cop pulls you over  -- you get a ticket

d) you pass a voucher expiration date -- it expires

Society is full of rules, and if you break them, there are penalties.

MrsResseguie
Explorer C

I paid them a large amount of money for travel. I believe the right thing to do is allow me to travel using the money I paid them for trips that were cancelled for reasons (a global pandemic) that were out of my control.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

@MrsResseguie 

Did you cancel these 5-6 flights or did SWA cancel these 5-6 flights?