Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Extention

SammieJ17
Explorer A

That quote was from a Facebook direct message. He told me it was the original booking date. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SammieJ17 wrote:

That quote was from a Facebook direct message. He told me it was the original booking date. 

Ok, just to double-double check, you are certain that the funds used were ones that had been extended to a September 7, 2022 expiration date at some point?

How long ago was the most recent cancellation? It is still possible that the expiration date update in the system isn't immediate, and will happen overnight at some point soon.

Otherwise, this is unfortunate. I'd try calling tomorrow, and explaining everything carefully -- perhaps you have just reached a misinformed representative, and/or there's been a glitch somehow.

If you're unable to get a satisfactory conclusion, I'd consider filing a DOT complaint:

DOT Consumer Complaint

I sincerely do hope that there hasn't been a change in policy from what Southwest published, and that this is simply a misunderstanding or an IT glitch.

SammieJ17
Explorer A

I am 100% positive.  Im not sure how to post a screen shot but:

On 10/30/19 I bought 2 round trip tickets to San Juan, PR for travel date of 4/18/20-4/25/20.

Canceled on 3/31/20

Rebooked 2 more tickets to Puerto Rico on 4/7/20 for travel dates of 10/14/20-10/24/20. These tickets were 290 dollars cheaper. That leftover credit shows I have until 9/7/2022 to use. 

I canceled these today and it shows an expiration date of 10/29/20. Which is $590 im going to be out if this is truly the case. 

Everyone I have talked to at this point says I can't be helped and I'm out of luck. 

I'm not asking for the money back as im still trying to get to Puerto Rico. Just the extention. 

I'll see if I can get a better answer tomorrow. If not, I will be filing a complaint. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Ok, if you just cancelled today, there's still the chance that the expiration date will update overnight in the next few days (and that you just reached a misinformed rep when you questioned it).

Fingers crossed.

SammieJ17
Explorer A

I will keep you posted!

SammieJ17
Explorer A

Okay so I reached out to customer relations and this is what happened. 

Yet again, told me its the original booking date which would be October of this year. There is nothing they can do since they can't 'change the expiration date'. 

The best I can do is call after it expires and pretty much beg for an extention and its 100$ per ticket (200$ total)  they would deduct if they granted me the extention. Case by case basis so there is no guarantee I will even get it. 

I was willing to book a new flight over the phone with them if they would even extend it to January but just got the 'nothing we can do' answer. Im just so defeated with this. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Ugh. That is definitely, absolutely, not how it's supposed to work.

I've reached out to an employee who oversees the discussion forum to ask for clarification. Either the system isn't functioning as it's supposed to, or the published information was significantly wrong, or there's something in error regarding your specific booking(s).

I'll update here with any new info.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SammieJ17 wrote:

The best I can do is call after it expires and pretty much beg for an extention and its 100$ per ticket (200$ total)  they would deduct if they granted me the extention. Case by case basis so there is no guarantee I will even get it. 

As I said earlier in this thread, if you combine the travel funds of the two tickets to buy a new ticket anywhere, and then cancel that ticket, the result will be one travel fund and one $100 fee.

You might want to add a few bucks of your own to buy a ticket that allows you to utilize 100% of the travel funds.

SammieJ17
Explorer A

I'm not quite understanding what you mean because they are telling me if I use the funds that expire October 29, 2020, then cancel..which I have done, the funds still expire from the original booking date. 

Granted, I'd save the extra 100 dollar fee since it'll be 1 ticket extention instead of 2.

What ticket can I purchase for almost 900 dollars for one person to combine them? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SammieJ17 wrote:

I'm not quite understanding what you mean because they are telling me if I use the funds that expire October 29, 2020, then cancel..which I have done, the funds still expire from the original booking date. 

Granted, I'd save the extra 100 dollar fee since it'll be 1 ticket extention instead of 2.

What ticket can I purchase for almost 900 dollars for one person to combine them? 

I think @dfwskier may be confusing your situation with advice he's given someone else in a different thread.

But the gist is: If you have multiple travel funds reaching expiration, you can combine them by using them to book a flight, and then cancelling that flight. Thereby ending up with a single fund, which when cancelled will incur only a single $100 fee to be reissued as a voucher.

When you do so, the resultant travel fund will take on the earliest expiration date of any of the funds, so this won't be of any help to you in getting an extension of the expiration date.

From what you've explained, it sounds like maybe the fund was for two travelers? If so, you won't be able to combine as funds are locked in use to the original travelers.