Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Extention

SammieJ17
Explorer A

Ahhh got it. I'd actually lose more money that way as some of the funds were extended until 2022. Im trying to get the funds from not expiring, not lose more of them..lol 🙃

Yes, the funds are for 2 people. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SammieJ17 

Some potential good news! 

I reached out to a rep with regards to your situation, and have gotten some info that offers an explanation of why the funds received the expiration date they did, and that you should be able to get this fixed.

I'm not certain that this is what happened to you. But here's the info:

--------

The scenario you shared happens when Customers use their funds (that would have qualified for the 9/7/22 expiration date extension) to purchase a new ticket prior to the expiration date being extended to 9/7/22 and then subsequently cancel the new reservation. This results in the funds maintaining their original expiration date. Here are some examples:

Scenario #1: PNR: ABC123 was booked on 10/20/19 and canceled on 4/2/20. These travel funds qualified to receive the expiration date extension through 9/7/22. However, the Customer applied the RTF to a new reservation, DEF456, on 4/2/20 (prior to the expiration date being extended by the system). Therefore, when the Customer canceled DEF456 on 9/10/20, the travel funds kept the original expiration date of 10/19/20.

Scenario #2: PNR: ABC123 was booked using a previous RTF with an expiration date of 9/27/20 and then canceled on 9/2/20. These travel funds qualified to receive the expiration date extension through 9/7/22. However, the Customer immediately applied the RTF to a new reservation, DEF456, on 9/2/20 (prior to the expiration date being extended by the system). Therefore, when the Customer canceled DEF456 on 9/15/20, the RTF kept the original expiration of 9/27/20.

Customer Relations are asking Customers whose situations fall within the above scenario to reach out to them for assistance.

--------

Obviously, you've already reached out multiple times, so I've asked the rep @LorrenT what can be done to get this fixed for you. Hopefully we'll have some direction soon.

SammieJ17
Explorer A

Thanks for reaching back out!!

It sounds like scenario #1. 

Yes, at this point I have talked to several people with no solution. Any help at all on this would be much appreciated!!!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SammieJ17 wrote:

Thanks for reaching back out!!

It sounds like scenario #1. 

Yes, at this point I have talked to several people with no solution. Any help at all on this would be much appreciated!!!

I'm not certain though, earlier you posted that you had cancelled in March and rebooked in April, which should have been enough time for the 2022 extension to be applied. But still, I'm hopeful they can fix this for you!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Here's a way to spend $1264 on a RT ticket.

I'm sure with a bit of searching you could find one closer to $900.

I found this one on my first try.

https://www.southwest.com/air/booking/select.html?adultPassengersCount=1&departureDate=2020-09-30&de...

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Here's a way to spend $1264 on a RT ticket.

I'm sure with a bit of searching you could find one closer to $900.

I found this one on my first try.

https://www.southwest.com/air/booking/select.html?adultPassengersCount=1&departureDate=2020-09-30&de...

His funds are for two people, so they're not combinable. 

doodledm
Explorer C

Customer Relations told me too bad! Finally offered a limited time travel voucher MINUS $100.  I realize they have already made exceptions to their rules but these CONTINUE to be unprecedented times.   They are doing everything they can to get people up into their airplanes EXCEPT treating their loyal customer base with utmost consideration.

doodledm
Explorer C

I had a very similar situation and missed the important cancellation date by 3 days since I would have to quarantine for 14 days where I was going. Thus NO extension to 2022 even though other credits from that same reservation number were extended.   So, $257 just DISAPPEARED from my account. Customer relations said too bad, and with further discussion then offered a  limited time voucher MINUS $100.  Long -time Southwest customer and very angry.  These are unprecedented times and they are doing everything they can to get people up into their airplanes EXCEPT treating their loyal customer base with utmost consideration.  All I was hoping for was the same outcome of a 2022 expiration for the entire amount. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SammieJ17 wrote:

Yes. I canceled March 31, 2020 then rebooked April 7th, 2020 for travel in October 2020. 

It indeed says expiration October 2020. 

I just don't understand why my leftover credit that I used to rebook doesn't expire until 2022 but this flight I just canceled expires Oct 2020. Im beyond frustrated. Its from the same credit. 

When did you cancel the October flight?

If it was before September 7, 2020, then the expiration should be September 7, 2022.

If it was after September 7, 2020, then the expiration date should be one year from the date you booked that flight on April 7, 2020, so April 7, 2021.

Please do come back and let us know what Customer Relations tells you.

Edited to add:

Q: Did you originally book that April trip back in October of 2019?

COTraveler
Explorer C

Hello:

I'm in a similar situation and standing to lose $1900 on 10/17/20.

Had booked for a family trip to Hawaii on 10/17/19 for travel on 3/28/20, which could not happen because of Covid-19/Corona, so being the optimist I am I wanted to be at the front of the line when travel to Hawaii was feasible again, so re-booked for July-20, thinking that system was canceling and re-booking. Also, thinking that doing it this way, instead of an outright cancellation, I was helping Southwest,

I re-booked again for 10/3/20 and now finding that my funds will still expire on 10/17/20, so can't re-book any more.

Tried calling Customer Service, they referred me to Customer Relations, there, a person recommended that I send an email from their 'Contact Us' that it would 'go to the right team'. Received a quick response from a NoReply email box saying that I need to call Customer Relations, or write a letter to a PO Box in Dallas, TX.

So, now finding myself in a circular loop, that I thought only existed at other airlines and not at Southwest.

I'm being told that a re-booking does not include the step of canceling and since I did not cancel per se prior to 9/7/20, only Customer Relations can help me.

@chgoflyer and @LorrenT 

Any chance that I could save my situation and any suggestions, please, on how to get through to the right person, or team?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm retired and losing $1900 will be a major financial setback for me.