Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Extention

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@COTraveler wrote:

Hello:

I'm in a similar situation and standing to lose $1900 on 10/17/20.

Had booked for a family trip to Hawaii on 10/17/19 for travel on 3/28/20, which could not happen because of Covid-19/Corona, so being the optimist I am I wanted to be at the front of the line when travel to Hawaii was feasible again, so re-booked for July-20, thinking that system was canceling and re-booking. Also, thinking that doing it this way, instead of an outright cancellation, I was helping Southwest,

I re-booked again for 10/3/20 and now finding that my funds will still expire on 10/17/20, so can't re-book any more.

Tried calling Customer Service, they referred me to Customer Relations, there, a person recommended that I send an email from their 'Contact Us' that it would 'go to the right team'. Received a quick response from a NoReply email box saying that I need to call Customer Relations, or write a letter to a PO Box in Dallas, TX.

So, now finding myself in a circular loop, that I thought only existed at other airlines and not at Southwest.

I'm being told that a re-booking does not include the step of canceling and since I did not cancel per se prior to 9/7/20, only Customer Relations can help me.

@chgoflyerand @LorrenT 

Any chance that I could save my situation and any suggestions, please, on how to get through to the right person, or team?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm retired and losing $1900 will be a major financial setback for me.

I'm sorry to hear that. But your experience echos many reports I'm seeing on social media. It's unfortunate, but if you used the "change flight" function instead of cancelling and rebooking, your funds were never actually extended to September 7, 2022.

I'm not sure if the situations @LorrenT referenced (posted above) include yours technically. But I'll update this thread with any info I receive regarding how to contact someone knowledgeable of the unique circumstances for assistance as soon as I have it.

It does seem counter productive for Southwest to penalize customers such as yourself who, as you say, thought they were helping Southwest by rebooking instead of outright cancelling.

I'll keep everyone posted.

SammieJ17
Explorer A

@COTraveler That's pretty messed up! I'm sorry to hear that. I know the frustration. I've been trying nonstop to get answers. 

I did not do the change flight option. I did an outright cancel and booked again with the funds and it's still the same situation. Leftover funds got extended, new flight didn't. 

gdlahood
Explorer C

Following this because I am in a similar situation.  Booked a trip last October for spring break.  Canceled due to COVID.  Booked a new ticket for a different destination in April for travel this month.  Canceled it because I got added on as someone's companion (yay) so was hoping for a credit through April 2021 according to their published policy.  As a side note - the fare changed a couple times so I "rebooked" and got credits...the credits show an expiration of 9/2022 but the trip I canceled shows an expiration of October 2020.  Curious to see how/if yours is resolved.  I am still waiting to hear from Customer Relations but based on what I am reading from others I am not hopeful.  But it's worth a try.

SammieJ17
Explorer A

@gdlahood I am not hopeful at this point either. I have talked to so many people and keep getting the run-around. I'll let you know if I come up with something!

gdlahood
Explorer C

Thanks @SammieJ17 I'll do the same!  I love Southwest and hope they stand by the policy they have (still today even) on their website.  If they don't stand by it, they need to take down the example that shows that they will use booking date for the expiration date if a flight is canceled.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Hey all -- @LorrenT may have reached out to you individually as well, but her advice is just to reach out again to Customer Relations (not the Customer Service reservation line). She says that "Customer Relations is the highest point of escalation at Southwest so someone should be able to assist them."

Obviously, some of you have already tried this and haven't had success. Which is very disappointing. But unfortunately it's apparently the only route available.

When you do, I'd reference this thread, and most especially the scenarios I posted earlier, which come directly from Customer Relations. Be persistent. Hopefully you'll get the help you need.

Contact Customer Relations 

Sadly, I think we're seeing that things at Southwest, for a number of reasons, just aren't like they used to be, pre-COVID.

And again, I'll recommend that, if it seems you've reached the end of your inquiries with no resolution, consider filing a DOT Consumer Complaint.

Good luck. And please share here how it works out for you.

COTraveler
Explorer C

@chgoflyer your information and assistance is very much appreciated.

I never thought that would see Southwest and DOT Complaint mentioned in the same context, so its a big disappointment 😞

Looks to me that the team which was tasked to program the funds date extensions in the system were fixated on cancellations only, and left out the scenarios where someone, like me, would be re-booking, or like @SammieJ17 and @gdlahood, eager to travel, would be canceling and re-booking.

Now, Customer Relations are left to face the results of this policy gap and they don't know what else to do, other than giving customers the circular treatment, perhaps hoping that we'll go away.

I don't see any other logical explanation of this unfairness in their funds expiration extension..

gdlahood
Explorer C
Solution

@SammieJ17 I told you I'd post an update.  I received a response to my email to Customer Relations.  They are issuing me a travel voucher in the amount of my ticket good through April 2021- one year from the "purchase" date of my rebooked ticket.  Much better than an October 2020 expiration of my current credit.  This is exactly the resolution I was hoping for based on how their policy was written and am thrilled that Southwest did not disappoint.  I especially wanted to share this news to give others in the same situation hope - it's definitely worth contacting Customer Relations.  So folks don't have to scroll back to read - my situation was:

Purchased a ticket in October 2019 for March 2020 travel.  Canceled that travel due to COVID.  Rebooked a new ticket in April 2020 for this month.  Ended up canceling that trip for un-Covid related reasons but based on their policy hoped that the expiration of my ticket would be based on my "purchase" date of April 2020 but in my account it shows as October 2020.  After contacting Customer Relations, they did honor this time frame and are sending me a travel voucher with an April 2021 expiration.  

This is why I appreciate Southwest and will fly with them whenever I have the opportunity!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gdlahood wrote:

@SammieJ17 I told you I'd post an update.  I received a response to my email to Customer Relations.  They are issuing me a travel voucher in the amount of my ticket good through April 2021- one year from the "purchase" date of my rebooked ticket.  Much better than an October 2020 expiration of my current credit.  This is exactly the resolution I was hoping for based on how their policy was written and am thrilled that Southwest did not disappoint.  I especially wanted to share this news to give others in the same situation hope - it's definitely worth contacting Customer Relations.  So folks don't have to scroll back to read - my situation was:

Purchased a ticket in October 2019 for March 2020 travel.  Canceled that travel due to COVID.  Rebooked a new ticket in April 2020 for this month.  Ended up canceling that trip for un-Covid related reasons but based on their policy hoped that the expiration of my ticket would be based on my "purchase" date of April 2020 but in my account it shows as October 2020.  After contacting Customer Relations, they did honor this time frame and are sending me a travel voucher with an April 2021 expiration.  

This is why I appreciate Southwest and will fly with them whenever I have the opportunity!

That's great news! Hopefully the others here will receive similar accommodations.

Just one thing to keep in mind, regarding the differences between travel funds and vouchers: Your voucher can be used to buy travel for anyone (vs only the named passengers on travel funds) but vouchers are only applicable to the air travel portion, not any taxes or fees* (unlike travel funds, which cover everything).

*There is a work-around, of course. You can use the travel funds generated from a cancelled flight that was purchased using a voucher to cover the airfare and taxes. 😉

SammieJ17
Explorer A

That's awesome! I hope I am able to get the same outcome. I have sent an email to them referencing this thread. I haven't heard back...but fingers crossed. 

I'll let you guys know when I get a response!