Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Fund Expiration/Workaround

samxan
Explorer C

I have three travel funds — all of which expire on 9/3/21, 9/4/21, and 10/4/21.

I'm looking to book a flight for 10/22/21. However, I'm unable to use these travel funds as the flight is being booked on a date after the travel funds expire. I understand that travel funds need to be used on a flight booked before the travel funds' expiration date.

I've combed through most threads and found that the only sliver of a solution is that I can call and convert these travel funds to LUV vouchers for a $100 fee.

My question is: Is there a workaround where I can book a flight for the end of August (to be able to utilize my travel funds) and the reschedule those flights to the 10/22/21 date while retaining the travel fund discounts? Or will they be deemed unusable when rescheduling?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Travel Fund Expiration/Workaround

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There is no magic workaround.  The conversion of expired travel funds to a voucher is the only way to use the value of travel funds after their expiration date.  Before 9/3 you should combine all travel funds that you have into one single travel fund (which will have a 9/3 expiration), then let it expire and get it converted to a voucher after expiration.

To combine travel funds you will need to use multiple funds to book a flight, then cancel the flight.  Repeat this process until you have a single fund with the combined value of the original three.

--TheMiddleSeat

Edit: You want to combine so you only pay one $100 fee to convert an expired travel fund to a voucher.  If you don't combine, the value of each travel fund is reduced by $100.

samxan
Explorer C

So I can't actually request an extension of travel funds into LUV vouchers (along with that $100 fee) until AFTER the travel funds are expired?

"To combine travel funds you will need to use multiple funds to book a flight, then cancel the flight.  Repeat this process until you have a single fund with the combined value of the original three."

In regards to your above comment, you mentioned that I need to "repeat this process", but I only have three total travel funds. So wouldn't I just book one flight with all three funds and then cancel the trip to get them into one travel fund?

Lastly, if I can't request an extension until after my funds expire, this means I can't take advantage of the SAVE50 sale that's going on until 6/17, correct? Is there any merit in calling Southwest and begging and pleading for a 60-day extension?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@samxan wrote:

So I can't actually request an extension of travel funds into LUV vouchers (along with that $100 fee) until AFTER the travel funds are expired?

"To combine travel funds you will need to use multiple funds to book a flight, then cancel the flight.  Repeat this process until you have a single fund with the combined value of the original three."

In regards to your above comment, you mentioned that I need to "repeat this process", but I only have three total travel funds. So wouldn't I just book one flight with all three funds and then cancel the trip to get them into one travel fund?

I think that is what themiddleseat was suggesting

Lastly, if I can't request an extension until after my funds expire, this means I can't take advantage of the SAVE50 sale that's going on until 6/17, correct? Is there any merit in calling Southwest and begging and pleading for a 60-day extension?

Correct you would not be able to take advantage of the current promotion.

You can try asking for an extension, but I expect that the answer will be no

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes. Yes. Yes. No.  I think I got them all?

Yes, you need to wait until the travel funds expire which means you cannot use the promo that is happening today.  When you combine funds they take on the earliest expiration date so the combined funds would expire 9/3.

Depending on the value of the funds you may need to book multiple flights before you are able to fully combine.  If you are able to get it all done in one shot then that's great.  I guess I could have said repeat if necessary.

I've not heard of anyone having luck requesting extensions, but you're welcome to try.  I personally wouldn't bother.

--TheMiddleSeat