Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds Transfer Appeal

Joepappaly
Explorer A

Dear SWA,

We the customers understand all of the policies with reference to Travel Funds when we cancel a booking. There are thousands of folks including myself who are very unhappy about the fact that these travel funds are only assigned back to the person who is on the cancelled reservation.

In my situation, there is close to $1500 worth of travel funds credited back to the folks on my itinerary and $1500 to myself that I paid for using my CC. Some of these folks were planning to come to the USA to attend a wedding celebration which has now been cancelled. 

They may never get to use these travel funds in the USA unless they visit here ...which is almost not going to happen again since visas and other arrangements are no longer possible.

In light of this current pandemic, we are asking you to please create some alternative method of crediting the unused travel funds of folks on the itinerary to the person who paid for the tickets instead of crediting back to the original name. OR better yet. Create a process where the passengers on a given itinerary are able to log into the website and initiate a transfer of the travel funds to another passenger on that itinerary or to the person who paid for them using the Name on the CC that was used to pay it.

Follow this link to access the e-mail addresses of the executives at SWA so that you can e-mail them directly if you are not getting a satisfactory response when trying to resolve your issue.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/southwest-airlines-co/

(Bloggers, if you agree with this, please put in your comments or  click on the Love icon and join this appeal. We as customers need to stand together and force this change with SWA ) 

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Travel Funds Transfer Appeal

dfwskier
Aviator A

I understand what you are saying.

You could contact customer relations to plead your case:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Joepappaly
Explorer A

Did that  already . The response  I received was that the current policy in place will not allow this.

dfwskier
Aviator A

The only other suggestion I would have is that you write the CEO of he airline explaining the situation;

Gary Kelly

CEO

Southwest Airlines
P.O. Box 36647
Dallas, Texas 75235

Good luck.

garode
Explorer C

Hi,

I have a perfectly similar situation to you. I called Southwest several times, both general CS and the other one, also leave messages on Facebook, but none of them is able to do anything. The only way is to transfer each travel fund ticket to a non-designated voucher, but the administration fee is $100 per ticket.

I totally understand their situation of refuse to process the refund, but we are not going to ask that. We just want to use the money by ourselves, instead of someone we paid before.

Let's make the voice, to make our customers stronger.

Bests,

Meng

kabjdewitt
Explorer C

For some reason I don’t see where I can “Love” your post...but I do!

I totally agree!  We are going to have to cancel for us and our 11 year old grandson.  We purchased his (and our) tickets on our credit card. SW responded that regardless the age, the travel voucher would be in his name only. He is a minor!

This is preposterous!  He may not be able to travel with us in the near future!  The tickets were over $400 each as it was a once in a lifetime trip for us to Hawaii.  We are NOT asking for a refund...just transfer the voucher credit!

We purchased using our SW Credit card. 😞

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I don't forsee that policy changing, but good luck. At least you'll have until the end of June 2021 to use the travel funds. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
The "Love" I can help with @kabjdewitt - click on the heart icon. As for the issue that's a tough one, right now it sounds like Southwest is not flexible on that part of their policy. I don't know the arrangements but it wouldn't be unreasonable if everyone was paying you for their flight after you booked to reimburse you. Obviously if it was meant to be a gift from you to the other flyers then it is definitely a gap where the policy is that funds remain in the original passengers name only.
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MaryMel
Explorer C

Kabjdewitt: To love a post you just click on the Heart, not next to it.

julie5009
Explorer C

I would advise filing a complaint with the federal government.

The following are available and I would use them all:

https://www.usa.gov/travel-complaint

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

https://www.usa.gov/state-consumer  - this will lead to a link to pick your State to file with them directly.

Good luck.