Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Funds Transfer Appeal

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@julie5009 wrote:

I would advise filing a complaint with the federal government.

Lol, based on what?  Southwest has chosen to continue following its long standing policy that travel funds must be used by the original passenger.  File a complaint because they are not changing their well established policy for refunds on non-refundable fares?  There's no DOT guidance that states they must change what they are doing.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Julie, as long as the airline is complying with it's own contract of carriage as well as DOT regulations, filing a complaint may make one feel better, but will do little else.

As near as I can tell, SW is now doing both.

Joepappaly
Explorer A

Thanks Julie.

thecrew74
Explorer C

Has there been any changes in the policy since the original thread began? I have a ticket I purchased for my 15yr old son. I couldn't for some reason purchase a ticket for him through my southwest acct so I had no alternative but to purchase in just his name. Nonetheless, I've learned the distination has a strict COVID policy which has left me with no alternative but to cancel his flight. I haven't cancelled yet because I wanted to speak with someone about transferring the funds into my name and I'd just take a flight at the end of the month to see my other son. However, I was on hold for nearly an hour and never got to speak with a representative so I'm not sure what to do about this.  I read in another post southwest was considering making funds transferrable so I was hoping someone one know something about this. Thanks so much

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@thecrew74

You've unfortunately missed the opportunity to get a refund via Rapid Rewards points by way of a travel fund to points conversion, perhaps all is not lost. That probably would have worked well for you. You did not say when your flight is scheduled to depart, but if Southwest has or does change your schedule you can probably cancel and get a cash refund. If the current schedule for your flight is different than when you originally booked it, contact Southwest and inform them that the new schedule does not work for you and request a cash refund. If no change has yet occurred, wait until the day before your flight before canceling, a change could still occur enabling you to get a refund. You can find your current schedule in My Account on southwest.com or on the Southwest app while logged in as the ticketed passenger. There's no benefit to canceling now versus the day before the departure if a schedule change has not occurred so wait it out.

--TheMiddleSeat

MaryMel
Explorer C

I am having a similar problem. I purchased flight tickets for my 78-year-old mother to accompany me on a trip to Maine. The trip and the college graduation ceremony it was for is now canceled due to coronavirus. Since I bought her a Wanna Get Away ticket, the value of the to-be-canceled ticket will be issued as Travel Funds -- to her! However, my mother will never use those funds. She does not travel. I travel a lot. Since I paid for the tickets the Travel Funds should be returned to my Rapid Rewards account. Or, as suggested in the original post by Joepappaly about this problem, provide some way for the ticket holder to gift the funds to another traveler. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MaryMel wrote:

I am having a similar problem. I purchased flight tickets for my 78-year-old mother to accompany me on a trip to Maine. The trip and the college graduation ceremony it was for is now canceled due to coronavirus. Since I bought her a Wanna Get Away ticket, the value of the to-be-canceled ticket will be issued as Travel Funds -- to her!  

Your statement seems to imply that the ticket has not yet been cancelled. If so, ,DO NOT CANCEL IT.

SW is cancelling about half of it's flights. If your mother's flight is cancelled, you'll be able to get a refund - to your credit card.. If not, wait til the day before the flight to cancel. Doing it then or now would yield  the same result  travel fund in your mother's name..

If you're adventurous, and inquisitive, you could see the pattern the airline is using to cancel flights, and change to one more likely to be cancelled - enhancing your chance for a refund.

MaryMel
Explorer C

dfwskier: Correct. I have not yet canceled for that reason. SW has moved the flight times around but hasn't yet canceled. Yes, I have until the day before to hit the cancel option. Your suggestion for trying to book to a flight that is likely to be canceled is interesting, but I can't try it with this one. My mom is getting the emails SW sends for the flight. She'll freak out if she sees me trying to send her to Costa Rica or some distant place. Won't understand the strategy. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I wasn't suggesting that you send he to a different place.

I was suggesting the same routing at a time more likely to be cancelled. You can make that change at no cost. Changing from whatever she has now to Costa Rica could not be done a no cost.

If it looks like the airline is keeping early and late nonstops, but not those in the middle of the day, you could move to a middle of the day flight - and hope.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MaryMel wrote:

dfwskier: Correct. I have not yet canceled for that reason. SW has moved the flight times around but hasn't yet canceled.  

Has the flight number changed?  If so, you have had a cancel and rebook. If so, contact the airline ask ask for a refund.

edit add: if the airline has changed flight times significantly, even if the flight number is the same, you may be eligible for a refund.