Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Re: Travel Funds Transfer Appeal

Top Contributor

@julie5009 wrote:

I would advise filing a complaint with the federal government.

Lol, based on what?  Southwest has chosen to continue following its long standing policy that travel funds must be used by the original passenger.  File a complaint because they are not changing their well established policy for refunds on non-refundable fares?  There's no DOT guidance that states they must change what they are doing.

--TheMiddleSeat

Highlighted

Top Contributor

Julie, as long as the airline is complying with it's own contract of carriage as well as DOT regulations, filing a complaint may make one feel better, but will do little else.

As near as I can tell, SW is now doing both.

Highlighted

New Arrival

Thanks Julie.

Highlighted

New Arrival

I am having a similar problem. I purchased flight tickets for my 78-year-old mother to accompany me on a trip to Maine. The trip and the college graduation ceremony it was for is now canceled due to coronavirus. Since I bought her a Wanna Get Away ticket, the value of the to-be-canceled ticket will be issued as Travel Funds -- to her! However, my mother will never use those funds. She does not travel. I travel a lot. Since I paid for the tickets the Travel Funds should be returned to my Rapid Rewards account. Or, as suggested in the original post by Joepappaly about this problem, provide some way for the ticket holder to gift the funds to another traveler. 

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@MaryMel wrote:

I am having a similar problem. I purchased flight tickets for my 78-year-old mother to accompany me on a trip to Maine. The trip and the college graduation ceremony it was for is now canceled due to coronavirus. Since I bought her a Wanna Get Away ticket, the value of the to-be-canceled ticket will be issued as Travel Funds -- to her!  

Your statement seems to imply that the ticket has not yet been cancelled. If so, ,DO NOT CANCEL IT.

SW is cancelling about half of it's flights. If your mother's flight is cancelled, you'll be able to get a refund - to your credit card.. If not, wait til the day before the flight to cancel. Doing it then or now would yield  the same result  travel fund in your mother's name..

If you're adventurous, and inquisitive, you could see the pattern the airline is using to cancel flights, and change to one more likely to be cancelled - enhancing your chance for a refund.

Highlighted

New Arrival

dfwskier: Correct. I have not yet canceled for that reason. SW has moved the flight times around but hasn't yet canceled. Yes, I have until the day before to hit the cancel option. Your suggestion for trying to book to a flight that is likely to be canceled is interesting, but I can't try it with this one. My mom is getting the emails SW sends for the flight. She'll freak out if she sees me trying to send her to Costa Rica or some distant place. Won't understand the strategy. 

Highlighted

Top Contributor

I wasn't suggesting that you send he to a different place.

I was suggesting the same routing at a time more likely to be cancelled. You can make that change at no cost. Changing from whatever she has now to Costa Rica could not be done a no cost.

If it looks like the airline is keeping early and late nonstops, but not those in the middle of the day, you could move to a middle of the day flight - and hope.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@MaryMel wrote:

dfwskier: Correct. I have not yet canceled for that reason. SW has moved the flight times around but hasn't yet canceled.  

Has the flight number changed?  If so, you have had a cancel and rebook. If so, contact the airline ask ask for a refund.

edit add: if the airline has changed flight times significantly, even if the flight number is the same, you may be eligible for a refund.

Highlighted

New Arrival
Solution

Follow this link to access the e-mail addresses of the executives at SWA so that you can e-mail them directly if you are not getting a satisfactory response when trying to resolve your issue.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/southwest-airlines-co/

Highlighted

New Arrival
Solution

I had sent an e-mail pleading my case and I received a telephone call back from SWA in less than 24 hours and have agreed to work with me on transferring the funds  from the other listed passenger names on my itinerary into my name when I am ready to book again. They issued me a service request # and I am to use that number when I call in to make my booking in the future.

I am extremely surprised and pleased to the response I received from SWA. I sincerely appreciate SWA changing their policy during this pandemic to accommodate my request. I am just another passenger just like each of you and my suggestion to you all is that if you are not getting satisfactory response on your normal channels of enquiry, you will need to escalate it.  Send an e-mail pleading your case while being respectful and professional. 

Based on my experience..I intend to continue my loyalty with SWA