Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Travel Funds Transfer Appeal

Joepappaly
Explorer A
Solution

Follow this link to access the e-mail addresses of the executives at SWA so that you can e-mail them directly if you are not getting a satisfactory response when trying to resolve your issue.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/southwest-airlines-co/

Joepappaly
Explorer A
Solution

I had sent an e-mail pleading my case and I received a telephone call back from SWA in less than 24 hours and have agreed to work with me on transferring the funds  from the other listed passenger names on my itinerary into my name when I am ready to book again. They issued me a service request # and I am to use that number when I call in to make my booking in the future.

I am extremely surprised and pleased to the response I received from SWA. I sincerely appreciate SWA changing their policy during this pandemic to accommodate my request. I am just another passenger just like each of you and my suggestion to you all is that if you are not getting satisfactory response on your normal channels of enquiry, you will need to escalate it.  Send an e-mail pleading your case while being respectful and professional. 

Based on my experience..I intend to continue my loyalty with SWA

eschbill48755
Explorer C

The same happened to me.  Business travel scheduled. Conference canceled.  Now a coworker has travel funds paid for by me.

I just want the travel funds to be moved to my account. 

I filed a complaint with my credit card company.  That forces SW to reply or lose the money.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I suspect that SW will tell your credit card company that it is following it's published policy.

Why don't you ask your friend to give you cash, and he/she keeps the travel fund?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Another option would be to convert the travel funds to Rapid Rewards points, once that becomes available, and then use those points to buy fares for anyone.

sybell108
Explorer C

I am in a bind here and I really hope that Southwest will do the right thing by their customers. I purchased a rt flight for my elderly mother and I  to attend an event in Vegas that she really wanted to go to in March.  Well, like everything else, it was cancelled.  My mother is 78 years old and due to COVID and health issues, she is unable to fly  so won't be using the funds.  I purchased her ticket and would stand to lose out on over $589 because of Southwest's non-transfer policy.  Is there something the company would be willling to do to make an exception for those of us who are in unique situations where we have purchased tickets for loved ones or family members and would now like to use those funds personally to travel with Southwest?

I am hopeful that the answer is yes.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I've heard the airline will allow people use travel funds to buy RR points which anyone could use.

Details have not yet been released

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@sybell108 wrote:

I am in a bind here and I really hope that Southwest will do the right thing by their customers. I purchased a rt flight for my elderly mother and I  to attend an event in Vegas that she really wanted to go to in March.  Well, like everything else, it was cancelled.  My mother is 78 years old and due to COVID and health issues, she is unable to fly  so won't be using the funds.  I purchased her ticket and would stand to lose out on over $589 because of Southwest's non-transfer policy.  Is there something the company would be willling to do to make an exception for those of us who are in unique situations where we have purchased tickets for loved ones or family members and would now like to use those funds personally to travel with Southwest?

I am hopeful that the answer is yes.

First, did Southwest cancel the flight, or did you? If Southwest did, you are entitled to a full refund.

Assuming you cancelled the flight and now have travel funds (good thru September 7, 2022), your best bet would be to convert those travel funds into Rapid Rewards points, which can then be used to purchase travel for anyone.

Note: This accommodation was announced back in April, but has not yet been implemented. Southwest will announce it's availability, hopefully soon.

Additionally, we have added a new benefit for our valued Rapid Rewards Members. Those Members who have travel funds that are set to expire or funds that are created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020 will have the option to convert those travel funds into Rapid Rewards® points at the same rate you would be able to purchase a ticket with points today. We hope this provides our Members ultimate flexibility as Rapid Rewards points never expire, never have cancel or change fees (fare difference may apply), and you can redeem your points for anyone you choose. Our Technology Team is working to build this conversion capability, and we will be in touch when it is ready for you to use. In the meantime, you don't need to take any action - your travel funds will be automatically extended for the two years mentioned above, and you will be able to make this conversion once we bring this new functionality to fruition.

This should satisfy your need for transferability of your mother's funds. Hope this info helps!

sybell108
Explorer C

Thank you @chgoflyer - I will look into that option.