Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel funds expiring - please help

JohnAcarver
Explorer C

Last year I booked a Kauai vacation before the virus hit. Since then, I've had to reschedule it 3 times due to Hawaii lockdown changes, and the specific Kauai rules that have differed from the rest of Hawaii. It's been a very frustrating process. All the while I've been using the original ticket's funds and because the original tickets were purchased in Feb 2020, they are expiring in a few days. Can SWA give me an extension since these were Kauai government issues and no fault of my own? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Travel funds expiring - please help

SWFlyer007
Aviator C
Solution

My suggestion is to contact Customer Relations/Service and give it a shot.  

Customer Service
  1. General Customer Service. 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792)
  2. Baggage - General Questions. 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792)
  3. Customer Relations. 1-855-234-4654.
  4. Articles Left at TSA Checkpoint. 1-866-289-9673 or tsa.gov.
  5. Rapid Rewards Customer Service. 1-800-445-5764.
  6. Public Relations & Media Relations.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@JohnAcarver Unfortunately, only SW Customer Relations can answer that question. This is a customer community forum.

I recommend using one of the Contact Us methods below to reach out to SW. Specifically, I encourage you to use the Twitter or Facebook direct message option. That will save any hold time, and that team is the best to work with!

Be sure the explain the details of your adjustments and clearly state your ask.  

This is a wild time, and while SW has made many customer-friendly moves, every situation is different.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@JohnAcarver wrote:

Last year I booked a Kauai vacation before the virus hit. Since then, I've had to reschedule it 3 times due to Hawaii lockdown changes, and the specific Kauai rules that have differed from the rest of Hawaii. It's been a very frustrating process. All the while I've been using the original ticket's funds and because the original tickets were purchased in Feb 2020, they are expiring in a few days. Can SWA give me an extension since these were Kauai government issues and no fault of my own? 

It's worth reaching out to Customer Relations (don't bother with any of the other numbers/methods, as they're not empowered to help you) but, unfortunately, to be frank it's unlikely you'll receive an extension of your total funds.

Southwest offered a covid accommodation from March 1 thru September 7, 2020, that required specific actions to earn. But ironically, those like you who kept rebooking with the good faith expectation of actually traveling received nothing. Southwest currently offers no additional covid accommodations.

(There's a chance you might be offered something if your original flight was cancelled by Southwest, but that's a longshot.)

Once your funds are expired, you can reach back out to Customer Relations and request reissue as a voucher, for a fee of $100 per travel fund/passenger. You have 6 months from expiration in which to do this, and the voucher will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue. Vouchers can be used by anyone, unlike Travel Funds which are tied to the original passenger(s), but are only valid for the airfare portion, not any taxes or fees.

Good luck.

Contact Customer Relations 

(I recommend via Twitter or Facebook direct message.)

Explorer B

New policy is no extension, no voucher! I called yesterday!

I used the funds to buy a expensive one way ticket!

all money and flights purchased on other airlines going forward! $10,000 in airfare a year for the next 3 years!

I booked better times and prices are cheaper! I don’t change my flights and I don’t carry bags on the plane!

no not be mad change airlines!

They showed me! Better time and cheaper….

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@161069484 , Again I'm so sorry for the frustration. I replied to a different post of yours recommending you reach out to Customer Relations since we don't have access to your account or reservations here on the Community. Do you know if that's who you spoke to? They handle escalated concerns and are different from our 800 number.

Contact Customer Relations 

Nicole
Community Manager