Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel funds transfer

Fethurman
Explorer C

We canceled our flights due to a canceled wedding during the Covid pandemic. We had 5 tickets, our household of 4 and a friends daughter. I am reading that we cannot transfer the travel funds our of friends to someone in our household (paid for on our Southwest RR credit card). So now we have $300 in travel funds for someone who likely will not travel with us again. 
are there any exceptions made for transfer of travel funds to my or my husbands name?

Or, I have read about expired funds being turned into a voucher for a $100 fee. What is the process of doing that ? They will not expire until 9/2022.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Travel funds transfer

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Fethurman wrote:

We canceled our flights due to a canceled wedding during the Covid pandemic. We had 5 tickets, our household of 4 and a friends daughter. I am reading that we cannot transfer the travel funds our of friends to someone in our household (paid for on our Southwest RR credit card). So now we have $300 in travel funds for someone who likely will not travel with us again. 
are there any exceptions made for transfer of travel funds to my or my husbands name?

Or, I have read about expired funds being turned into a voucher for a $100 fee. What is the process of doing that ? They will not expire until 9/2022.

As you learned, travel funds may only be used by the original passenger(s). 

Once they are expired, travel funds may be reissued as a voucher, usable by anyone, for a fee of $100 per passenger. Since your travel funds won't expire until late 2022, this may not be the best option for you.

The good news is that Southwest has announced that, sometime soon, they will offer the ability to convert these travel funds into Rapid Rewards points. Details are still lacking, but once the function is available, your friend's daughter will be able to convert her travel funds into Rapid Rewards points, which could then be used to purchase airfare for you or your husband (or anyone).

Hopefully that function will be available soon, Southwest has stated that it will notify customers when it is. Hope this helps!