Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel voucher questions

Jdharness
Explorer C

I know that Southwest usually offers a voucher if they cancel your same day flight, but what about if they cancel a month in advance? Ive been planning a trip for my husband, some friends and I to punta can for months! Racked up enough points for a companion pass, saved points to use for the flight and booked as soon as they opened flights for June.. Today I get a call saying they are canceling part of that flight and the only other option is to fly into baltimore from dallas a full day early and fly from baltimore to punta cana the next day. While i promise im grateful they didnt just completely cancel all options to punta cana, this is a HUGE inconvenience! 1. My mom is flying in just to babysit for us that week. Her flight doesnt get in until 7pm and we would have to fly out of dallas at 4pm! So I am going to have to jump through hoops to figure out who can watch my child in that 4-5 hour time gap. 2. This means that I have to pay for an extra night of hotel in Baltimore on top of already paying for Punta Cana! Yes, they offered a full refund but thats even more of an inconvenience because 1. I specifically booked through southwest because of my companion pass and use of southwest points 2. Its a month before travel! At this point every airlines prices is triple what i wouldve paid when I initially booked! Im super frustrated about this whole situation, but I said all this to ask does anyone know if southwest will give a travel voucher or award points for the cancellation and the huge inconvenience?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Travel voucher questions

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually, if Southwest cancels your flight you are entitled to a refund, but you have to ask for it.

If you paid by credit card, your refund will go there. If you paid by debit card, your refund will go there. If you paid by gift card or travel fund, your return will be to a travel fund.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Whenever Southwest cancels (or significantly changes) a flight, you are entitled to a full refund, back to the original form of payment. (One exception is that Southwest Gift Cards will be refunded as Travel Funds.)

If the customer cancels a flight, they'll receive Travel Funds good towards future travel for the named passenger(s), generally valid for one year from the original date of purchase.

All flights booked with Rapid Rewards Points can be cancelled by the customer at any time for a full refund -- the points just go back into the account they came from.

(FYI: "Vouchers" are a specific thing on Southwest, different from Travel Funds.)

Jdharness
Explorer C

Im not sure if I wasnt clear, but I do not want a refund. Im asking if they offer a form of compensation such as a travel voucher for the inconvenience. Theres always a 2-3 hr wait to talk to customer service, so was just wondering if anyone had any insight into it before I put myself through that long wait

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Jdharness wrote:

Im not sure if I wasnt clear, but I do not want a refund. Im asking if they offer a form of compensation such as a travel voucher for the inconvenience. Theres always a 2-3 hr wait to talk to customer service, so was just wondering if anyone had any insight into it before I put myself through that long wait

Normally flights cancelled well in advance will not earn you compensation from any airline.

Southwest would allow you a no cost change to a flight that works better for you. Since people cancel flights all the time, keep watching the website to see if one opens up. If one does, snag it.