Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unavailable

midwest
Explorer C

Being a long time RR member I find it somewhat puzzling that so many of the Wanna Get Away Fairs are unavailable ! When I started as a RR member the claim was "No Blackout Dates" Now not so true now, It seems as though it is extremely difficult to get a Wanna Get Away fair. To me this is "Blackout" as soon as they open up the routes there are "WGA" fairs that are not available ! As a 25 + year member of RR this is most discouraging. Is it possibly time to find another "points based" credit card to use ?

Has anyone else noticed this ? Does it bother you as much as it bothers me ?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unavailable

jksobonya
Aviator A

I have definitely noticed this and made a thread about it myself: https://community.southwest.com/t5/Routes-Destinations/Cutting-WGA-fares/m-p/139190

I believe what the airlines are doing is increasing fares to make up for some of the lost profits from the past 2 years and also to offset rising fuel costs. Delta even admitted to hiking fares 10%: Delta executives believe pent-up demand for travel will help offset soaring fuel costs and allow the... 

So as the consumer we are sort of in a lose-lose situation right now. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

I believe what the airlines are doing is increasing fares to make up for some of the lost profits from the past 2 years and also to offset rising fuel costs. Delta even admitted to hiking fares 10%: Delta executives believe pent-up demand for travel will help offset soaring fuel costs and allow the... 

--Jessica

Jessica, high food prices, high gas prices , etc will start affecting high air ticket prices -- at least IMO. June's cheapest tickets on the routes I fly are about 250% higher than those tickets are in May. There are no "cheap" tickets.

IMO people are not going to pay those ticket prices in addition to high gas, grocery, etc prices. They won't afford it. Demand will be destroyed. Prices will come down.

Example, when seats for early 2022 were released, fares were pretty outrageous. As 2022 got closer, fares started to go down. Finally, early 2022 fares ended up being about the same as early December fares. The higher fares did  not stick.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Not having a discount fare available is hardly a blackout, you just don't want to pay the higher price for the flight.  Blackout would mean no seat available and that is not the case.  Demand for travel is incredibly high right now and there's no reason to sell a discounted fare on some routes.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually, "No Blackout Days" refers to the fact that you can buy a Rapid Rewards points ticket on any flight that has seats available for sale...

Unlike some other airlines that prevent the use of points tickets on certain days.