Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Untangling tie to my 10 year old daughter's itinerary to make changes to both

SamanthaBuhler
Explorer C

Hello, Southwest is awesome for allowing me to make changes to my flight at no additional charge in response to the changes it has had to make to your schedules.  Unfortunately, I booked my flight with points and then paid for my 10 year old daughter's flight.  The wait on the phone was so long that after several attempts and long waits that never materialized, I followed the online instruction to make changes.

I could not make changes until I canceled my daughter's flight.  I changed mine at no additional charge, so figure I could re-purchase my daughter's flight for the same price.  That turned out not to be the case.  Instead, I now face a 3X increase in her flight from paying $486 to now having to pay $1,400 for the new flight. 

Had I successfully got through to Southwest, I think you guys would have helped me separate the tickets and make the changes.  Since I could not get someone on the phone after prolonged waits, I'm asking if you could please help me reinstate her original flight despite the cancellation and allow me to align her flight to mine at no additional charge, which was the intent since you sent me numerous emails notifying me of changes to my flight and suggested I could update.  Also, when I went to make changes, the information from website indicated that if I stuck to the same departure and destination locations, there would be no additional charge. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Untangling tie to my 10 year old daughter's itinerary to make changes to both

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello. 2 Points here:

1) For future reference, when the phone lines are jammed HANG UP, and use twitter,  facebook or e-mail instead. Click on "contact us" below for details. The cell app  "chat" function also works pretty well.

2) Your best shot at a resolution is thru customer relations. I suspect you are out of luck though as I don't believe that anyone at the airline can book a fare that is not available for booking to the general public..   

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

Re: Untangling tie to my 10 year old daughter's itinerary to make changes to both

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SamanthaBuhler wrote:

Hello, Southwest is awesome for allowing me to make changes to my flight at no additional charge in response to the changes it has had to make to your schedules.  Unfortunately, I booked my flight with points and then paid for my 10 year old daughter's flight.  The wait on the phone was so long that after several attempts and long waits that never materialized, I followed the online instruction to make changes.

I could not make changes until I canceled my daughter's flight.  I changed mine at no additional charge, so figure I could re-purchase my daughter's flight for the same price.  That turned out not to be the case.  Instead, I now face a 3X increase in her flight from paying $486 to now having to pay $1,400 for the new flight. 

Had I successfully got through to Southwest, I think you guys would have helped me separate the tickets and make the changes.  Since I could not get someone on the phone after prolonged waits, I'm asking if you could please help me reinstate her original flight despite the cancellation and allow me to align her flight to mine at no additional charge, which was the intent since you sent me numerous emails notifying me of changes to my flight and suggested I could update.  Also, when I went to make changes, the information from website indicated that if I stuck to the same departure and destination locations, there would be no additional charge. 

That's definitely a case that's poorly accounted for with the inability to change both tickets simultaneously. Unfortunately that's what you've discovered as well in this case which is correct, to make a self-service change you have to cancel the minor ticket, change yours, and then add her back which in this case because the waiver was there to make a change the cancelation exited her ticket from that loop.

Definitely reach out to customer relations, use twitter, and/or the in-app chat feature. 

1) app chat or twitter are great if you have your daughter's fare in travel funds. However if you opted for a cash refund then these two outlets can't accept any funding to make the original update. If travel funds are there to pay in your account then it will be possible. 

2) Calling may be necessary - try to find a time when you can call I'm not sure what time of day would be best but I'm guessing early morning central time.

As @dfwskier they probably can't "reinstate" the ticket so ask for what you want to happen rather than in a specific way to do it. You wanted to re-accommodate your daughter due to flight change and accidentally canceled when you were trying to rebook your own ticket. You don't want to re-instate hers if you are already re-booked, you want them to book her on the new flight with you, ask for that.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.