Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using VISA gift cards for payment

hmcculloch
Explorer C

I thought I would come here and hopefully get an answer quicker than being on the phone.  I was trying to make a reservation for 3 of us with a rate of $112 each.  So that totalled up to be about $335.  I was HOPING to be able to use my $200 VISA gift card for some of this total.. Is that possible?  

Will I have to split up the reservation  and just use it for really only one?  Sigh.  Was hoping I could apply this balance to all of it and just pay the difference.  

HELP!! 

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Using VISA gift cards for payment

bec102896
Aviator A

There is a complicated way to handle this where you could book the 3 people on a flight where the visa gift card would cover the whole cost of the flight so you would book what I call a dummy flight (one you have no intention of taking) so say find a flight for $66 a person you would then be able to use $198 of the gift card to pay in full. After ticketed you can then click the change flight option where you select the actual flight you want. You can then pay the fare difference with a different card. If you can't find a flight for exactly $66 get one for as close to it as you can that way the amount left on the gift card will be minimal. I know they have flights for $45 right now so it may take a little bit of work but it can be done. 

The easier option is to book everyone separately. 

-Blake

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Another suggestion would be to purchase a Southwest gift card with the Visa gift card, then you will be able to split the payment online. The Southwest gift card would be applied and you can use a credit card for the remaining balance. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Another suggestion would be to purchase a Southwest gift card with the Visa gift card, then you will be able to split the payment online. The Southwest gift card would be applied and you can use a credit card for the remaining balance. 

--TheMiddleSeat

I can't believe i didn't think of that. That's a much easier way to do it. 

hmcculloch
Explorer C

Thank you so much for this idea! It is perfect!