Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using Vouchers and Credit Card - Taxes Refunded?

JennaPutman
Explorer C

I received 3 vouchers almost a year ago but don't have any travel plans coming up. I plan to cash in the vouchers by buying trips then cancelling them. I notice I can only use 2 vouchers per transaction and it does not cover the cost of taxes and fees so I have to pay out of pocket for taxes and fees. If I pay for a flight and cancel it, will the cost of taxes and fees go back to my credit card? For example, if I purchase a $200 flight with a $200 voucher but there is $50 extra in taxes and fees to pay with my credit card, will that be refunded to my credit card or to a new voucher? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Using Vouchers and Credit Card - Taxes Refunded?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Taxes and fees are always refundable to the original form of payment. You just need to choose that option when cancelling.

Just to be clear, the travel funds from the canceled flights will take on the expiration date of any vouchers applied. In order to "extend" that expiration date you'd need to reach out to Southwest and request the funds be reissued as a voucher. If granted, the new voucher will be valid for 6 months from issue. Currently Southwest is reportedly waiving the $100 fee.

Re: Using Vouchers and Credit Card - Taxes Refunded?

JennaPutman
Explorer C

Thank you! This is super helpful.