Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using a flight credit under my maiden name

assiah10
Explorer C

Before my last flight, I submitted my marriage certificate as required to get the name on my account and existing flight tickets with my new last name. A while later I tried to use a flight credit I have on file but the name must match, so I was unable to use it on the last flight I booked with my new last name. I called customer service to see if they could apply the credit manually and they told me that the only remedy is to book the flight under my old last name and apply the credit, then call to have the name on the ticket changed by submitting my marriage certificate again.

The problem with this is that I have other flight credits that are under my new last name, so this method would prevent me from being able to use multiple flight credits on the same booking. This feels super unfair and like discrimination because I changed my last name.

I’m tempted to call customer service again and try to escalate the issue for a more acceptable solution. Has anyone run into this issue before?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Using a flight credit under my maiden name

dfwskier
Aviator A

What's preventing you from using the ticket with your maiden name for your next trip, and then those with your married name for the flight after that?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Unfair and discrimination??? Give me a break. 

Systems have limitations and you are trying to do something the system can't handle. Southwest provide an alternative method to use allow you to use the funds, they are clearly trying to let you utilize the funds.

--TheMiddleSeat

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

good question what is the policy

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Here's a hopefully helpful suggestion: Do as they say, then cancel that flight. You'll then have a credit in the new name. Use this credit along with your other credits to book the travel you need, as all will be under the same name.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Here's a hopefully helpful suggestion: Do as they say, then cancel that flight. You'll then have a credit in the new name. Use this credit along with your other credits to book the travel you need, as all will be under the same name.

Yes, I think they described a perfectly workable method - making the booking under the old name, and changing the name with the normal process won't affect your other current bookings. 

Cancel it and you can then use it with the newer funds.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.