Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using a voucher

Dchbbc
Explorer C

Hi. I booked a flight yesterday for 3 of us for next February.  I used travel points for all three and paid with Uplift Credit for the remainder. I forgot that one of the passengers  had a $100 voucher from a trip last month that was delayed for 6 hours. Is it possible to apply this voucher to the trip I booked and paid for yesterday?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Using a voucher

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, you can't apply a voucher retroactively. Also, vouchers are only valid on the airfare portion of a flight booking -- not any taxes or fees -- so you wouldn't be able to use a voucher to pay the fees on a points booking.

I wasn't aware that you could use Uplift to pay the taxes and fees on a points booking. Are you sure that this is what you did? It seems odd to finance the (usually) relatively small taxes and fees portion.

Perhaps you meant that you used a Southwest Travel Fund, from a previously cancelled flight that was originally paid for using Uplift? If so, you may have some options.

If the fare hasn't increased, you could cancel and then rebook. You'll receive a travel fund in the name of all three passengers, and the points used will be returned to your RR account. You'll need to then rebook one person separately, using cash instead of points, so that you can now apply the voucher. Note that vouchers don't cover taxes or fees, so you'll need to apply the new travel fund to cover the balance. Then book the other two passengers using points and the travel fund's remaining portion.

This is a bit complicated, so it may be best to just save the voucher for another trip. Note that a voucher can be used by anyone, not just the named passenger.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Dchbbc wrote:

Hi. I booked a flight yesterday for 3 of us for next February.  I used travel points for all three and paid with Uplift Credit for the remainder. I forgot that one of the passengers  had a $100 voucher from a trip last month that was delayed for 6 hours. Is it possible to apply this voucher to the trip I booked and paid for yesterday?

Might be too late for this, but if you booked within 24 hours ago you may be able to cancel everything for a full refund, and then re-book - note the refund might not occur immediately for the cash portion.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@Dchbbc wrote:

Might be too late for this, but if you booked within 24 hours ago you may be able to cancel everything for a full refund, and then re-book - note the refund might not occur immediately for the cash portion.

I don't see any benefit to an under 24-hours cancellation here.

It's still a bit unclear, but they say they used an "Uplift Credit" for the non-points portion, which I believe means a Travel Fund, which would be refunded as a Travel Fund, not cash -- even if cancelled within 24 hours.

(Even if the Uplift Credit isn't a Travel Fund, but is something else, it would likely be refunded as a credit in any case.)

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@Dchbbc wrote:

It's still a bit unclear, but they say they used an "Uplift Credit" for the non-points portion, which I believe means a Travel Fund, which would be refunded as a Travel Fund, not cash -- even if cancelled within 24 hours.

(Even if the Uplift Credit isn't a Travel Fund, but is something else, it would likely be refunded as a credit in any case.)

Maybe I have the names mixed up, I thought it was the cash option for pay over time with the third-party financing group, and they want to substitute the voucher instead of pay over time.

Maybe the OP can clarify. @Dchbbc 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@Dchbbc wrote:

Maybe I have the names mixed up, I thought it was the cash option for pay over time with the third-party financing group, and they want to substitute the voucher instead of pay over time.

Maybe the OP can clarify. @Dchbbc 

The OP said, "I used travel points for all three and paid with Uplift Credit for the remainder."

Uplift is indeed the "pay over time third-party financing group." Since it's unlikely anyone would make a points booking and then finance the relatively small taxes and fees portion (and doubtful that Uplift would even allow this), I'm assuming by "Uplift Credit" they mean a travel fund that came from the cancellation of an itinerary originally financed through Uplift.

Agreed though that clarification from the OP is needed.