Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Victim of potential fraud directly by Southwest

ATflyer99
Explorer C

My Fiancé had a flight booked months in advance. She checked in on time, had a ticket, and even upgraded to A1-15 to be extra safe. When we checked her ticket a few hours later, we noticed that she had been “demoted” to standby. She now is in standby, and we have already lost our money and now our ticket. We need this resolved immediately.

I am extremely disappointed by this and consider this potential fraud.

W had 3 flights get cancelled last minute (sometimes 1 minute before) leading up to this. I have never been more disappointed in this airline, which I have flown for almost 20 years, and will not be flying again.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Victim of potential fraud directly by Southwest

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

When your original flight is canceled Southwest will do its best to get you on the next available flight, including via standby options. If you do not want that flight you can reschedule it to any other available option. You can also cancel your travel and get a refund. Assuming you want to travel I suggest you complete the travel then afterwards write Southwest and request a refund of the upgraded boarding positions you purchased. Southwest should compensate you, you will need to be patient as they work through the many issues. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message with the details of your original reservation and upgraded boarding purchase. Request a refund for the upgraded boarding. Southwest will most likely also provide you with vouchers for future travel as an apology.

--TheMiddleSeat

ATflyer99
Explorer C

Let me clarify. This was not in response to a canceled flight. Southwest canceled all of our flights at the last minute heading TO our destination, including two where we were 1 minute from boarding and then they canceled it right before pre-boards got on.

We then rented a car and drove all night in Christmas Eve to be with our family. The flight that they just canceled us on was to fly HOME - completely separate from the ones that were canceled. We already had a boarding pass with a ticketed number, and then we upgraded to be safe. Southwest then just took our money and demoted us to standby a few hours after we checked in.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Let me clarify, if Southwest canceled your flight you can request and will get a refund. There is no fraud occurring. 

--TheMiddleSeat