Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Waiting on hold for 2 hours

gromis6
Explorer C

Southwest just changed both my flights coming and going from LAX to Nashville. I called to get a refund on the difference (about $179) but I have been waiting 2 hours and no answer. It's really annoying that the man keeps saying every few minutes "thank you for your patience. Someone will be with you as soon as possible." This seems to be the norm with SW. I love this airline but their customer service unfortunately stinks.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Waiting on hold for 2 hours

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest does not refund (or charge  more for that matter) when it moves you to a new fight.

If the price is lower, you have to cancel the ticket, get travel funds, and then use those travel funds to buy a new ticket. If the new ticket is lower priced than the original, then you will have residual travel funds for future use.

Oh, one more thing - HANG UP and use an alternate method of reaching the airline. See "contact us" below. 

Re: Waiting on hold for 2 hours

jksobonya
Aviator A

Just log onto Southwest.com and change your flight. When you go to change it, you will see your available options and whether the price is higher or lower for each option, and you can select the exact same flight you already booked and either get a credit if it's lower or pay the difference if it's higher. In your case, you'll get a travel credit - you don't get a credit card refund when flight prices go down, you get travel credit to use later. 

However, since Southwest made the change, they give you 72 hours to change the flight to a different flight for free, so you won't be able to do this until 72 hours passes. I'd take advantage of another flight option, if you find one that's better than the one you have booked now. 

@dfwskier wrote:

If the price is lower, you have to cancel the ticket, get travel funds, and then use those travel funds to buy a new ticket. If the new ticket is lower priced than the original, then you will have residual travel funds for future use.

You don't have to cancel the ticket first. You can just change the flight, select the same flight you already have booked, and you'll get the travel credit difference when you reconcile the changes. 

--Jessica