Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wanna Get Away Cancellation Question

pghboy69
Explorer C

Question:

Okay, I purchased two Wanna Get Away tickets on my account for an upcoming trip - one for me, one for a friend.

My friend can no longer go, so I need to cancel their ticket. I know under a Wanna Get Away purchase, I can't get a refund, but I can use that credit for another flight within the next year.

Does that flight HAVE to be for the person I made the reservation for?  Can it be for me?  Can it be for someone totally different?  

I'm wondering why it would have to be for the person I made the reservation for, since I'm the one who paid for the ticket...seems to me that I should be allowed to use it for myself or anyone else of my choosing.  Anyone know the answer?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Wanna Get Away Cancellation Question

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry, but the answer is, and has always been, that any travel funds that come about as a result of a cancellation or change are only usable by the person whose name was on the original ticket.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution
Here is the exact wording:
"Fares are nonrefundable but may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines for the originally ticketed passenger only."

Source:
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/fare-information.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Sorry, but the answer is, and has always been, that any travel funds that come about as a result of a cancellation or change are only usable by the person whose name was on the original ticket.

Fyi: It's actually not always been that way. Unfortunately, Southwest stopped allowing Travel Funds to be used by anyone except the original passenger back in 2011. 

Dahlken
Explorer C

This is sad that an airline has become so greedy. I have a flight coming up that I just had the other party cancel on me. After I bought the tix. And you are refusing to even give me credit? You can bet that this will be the LAST time I, my family, my friends, my band, I'll even remind my enemies to avoid the ripoff policies of this airline and fly with ANY OTHER. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Dahlken wrote:

This is sad that an airline has become so greedy. I have a flight coming up that I just had the other party cancel on me. After I bought the tix. And you are refusing to even give me credit? You can bet that this will be the LAST time I, my family, my friends, my band, I'll even remind my enemies to avoid the ripoff policies of this airline and fly with ANY OTHER. 

Is this policy different in the other airlines? I'm honestly not sure about change of passengers.

At least with change fees that may be as much as what you paid for the WGA fare - when you are reminding all those people make sure to remind them about change fees and baggage fees. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Lol, unless you have status with another airline or pay for refundable tickets it sounds like you'll never be flying again. Change fees on standard tickets (the equivalent of Wanna Get Away) would eat up the entire ticket cost that you feel should be refunded. At least with Southwest the credit can be used up to a year later, yes it is limited to the same passenger. If you need more flexibility there's Anytime and Business Select fares that offer the ability to cancel and get your cash back. You can read more about different fares and refundability here: https://www.southwest.com/html/air/fare-information.html

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Dahlken wrote:

A little confused by this. Not sure what "the other party cancel on me means", but assuming your "flight coming up" was in your name, you certainly do get the credit via travel funds if it is cancelled. If others cancelled their own flights, then the credit goes back to them since the flight was in their name. If you booked all of their tickets using your credit card ... sorry. I mean, I can understand the frustration here, but the tickets you paid for were for other people, not you, and if you are buying the cheapest fare (Wanna Get Away) you don't get a credit card refund when tickets get cancelled. If you want that, you need to book the more expensive fare. 

--Jessica

Blue-squirrel
Explorer C

Southwest has been the most painful experience I've had with flying.  

I dont travel much, had to cancel a trip last year due to costs.  Made up another trip to use the 'voucher' and as its approaching this virus is probably going to force me to cancel again.  And all this huge business will offer me is a voucher.   What a joke.  I cant even transfer it to a relative.  I will never use Southwest again.  They are not customer friendly.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I mean - I do get the argument here. I can see a valid point being made that the original purchaser should get travel funds credited back to them when flights that they book for others are cancelled. But as of now, that's not the way it works. 

--Jessica