Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wanna Get Away Flights

allyabraham3
Explorer C

I have a trip planned with my family and purchased Wanna Get Away Flights for us all. Today my daughter invited her boyfriend and we got on to purchase him a ticket, however, they are all sold out (unavailable) How often do they or would there be any possible way some will come available? Should I wait? Is there any way to find out if some do come available that I can be notified about them? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Wanna Get Away Flights

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Just check back multiple times a day, seats often do open up as people change their travel plans, especially as it gets closer to departure date.  Keep in mind that certain destinations have less churn as people don't change vacation plans to Mexico as much as the passenger list for a flight to Memphis might change, but getting one seat is usually doable.  Also, as you get closer to departure date fares generally go up in price.

Is there an Anytime or Business Select fare available?  You could purchase one of those and then cancel it if a Wanna Get Away fare opens up and you are able to snag it.  Anytime and Business Select fare are refundable so you can get a refund back to your original form of payment.  That would be a good backup plan, although a bit more expensive.  How much do you like the boyfriend?

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Wanna Get Away Flights

allyabraham3
Explorer C

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I didn't know I could buy the more expensive flight and cancel for a refund. I thought it would just be a credit to use towards another flight.

I actually like the boyfriend. Nice young man. 🙂  Thanks again for the info.