Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Website Access Denied inside US. Root Cause

racera4
Explorer C

Hello there,

I work for an IT MSP here in the United States. A client called the other day saying they were unable to search anything on Southwest.com. They were using the Latest Google Chrome, and I also tested this in Firefox as well. Same Results. So I tried it at my location locally and everything worked fine. I tested it on their server and I was able to duplicate the issue in Google Chrome but not Firefox. I kept poking around but I couldn't seem to understand what was happening. Then I remembered the Firefox likes to do it's own DNS queries, and I found the setting to disable it. Voilà I reproduced the issue in Firefox. 

My DNS forwarder settings were set to Google DNS, Firefox does its queries with CloudFlare. So I changed my DNS Forwarder to CloudFlare and it fixed it like magic. 

I just tested my theory with my personal computer, and I changed my PC's DNS to Google DNS and I got the same access denied results. Southwest needs to do something about this sooner rather than later.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Website Access Denied inside US. Root Cause

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Being that this is primarily a customer to customer forum I would Contact Customer Relations so they can pass on the issue to the appropriate department for review and hopefully a fix. I do know Southwest has had issues with blocking people out of the US but I haven't seen any reports lately of people in the states having issues. 

-Blake

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

+1 to this. Did you try a different browser, data not WiFi, or incognito mode?

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

racera4
Explorer C

Thank you I was unaware that this forum was mostly customers only.