Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What happens when my flight is cancelled and I only have a Wanna Fly Away Ticket?

Mac47401
Explorer C

I'm a little confused by the benefits or drawbacks of a "Wanna Fly Away ticket."  If I am waiting for my return flight from where ever, and the flight is cancelled because of weather or mechanical issues, will Southwest re-book me on the next scheduled flight (preferably same day) without additional charges, or will I simply be given a refund on the unused portion of the ticket and will be on my own to find a way home, or will I be placed on stand-by for another flight and charged an additional fee if the stand-by flight is more expensive?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What happens when my flight is cancelled and I only have a Wanna Fly Away Ticket?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

If Southwest cancels your flight, regardless of your fare type, you can receive a refund back to the original form of payment OR be booked on an alternate flight of your choice at no additional charge. The rebooked flight would need to be within a few days of the original one and same cities, but Southwest is pretty flexible about getting you where you need to go. 

Business Select and Anytime fares allow you to cancel and receive a cash refund, Wanna Get Away fares cancelled by the traveler receive travel funds to use later. That's the main difference with some other things too that I won't get into. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: What happens when my flight is cancelled and I only have a Wanna Fly Away Ticket?

Mac47401
Explorer C

Thank you.