Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

When did it become so expensive to fly direct to Las Vegas?

cer123
Explorer C

Pre-Covid I could fly direct from Tampa to Las Vegas for a couple hundred dollars.  Now it's triple that.  What happened?  Several airlines are lower so surprised SW not the low cost option on a direct route.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: When did it become so expensive to fly direct to Las Vegas?

dfwskier
Aviator A

There are still ways to do it for under $300. Use the low fare calendar to see which days are cheapest. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

This is the story of my life! In the glory days (a decade ago let's say) I could fly roundtrip to Vegas for $300. A few years back Southwest dropped nonstop flights out of my airport (PHL) and that's when everything started going awry. Flight prices gradually climbed and as of 2019 flights averaged $400 or *more* roundtrip. 

In these strange pandemic times however ... flights have been literally $100 roundtrip. $50 or so each way. It's crazy. I have a trip booked for April (next month) where my flights cost $58 and $62 each way and I booked it a month ago. But if you look at the next few months ... gradually they increase more and more. Once we hit July, flights are right back to $400 - more like $450 - roundtrip. Ugh. 

I am afraid that in the summer/fall of this year Southwest is going to try to bump up flight prices a bit to try to get back some lost revenue - and honestly, I wouldn't blame them one bit if they tried. They need the money, but if they increases prices too drastically, people aren't going to want to pay them.   

--Jessica

BigCTM
Explorer C

I am seeing the same trend flying from Memphis to LV.  For 3, the lowest I can get for mid June is around $950 total.  Will probably just go ahead and book because it will probably only get more expensive...Especially flying on Thursdays...For some reason Thursdays are more expensive.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@BigCTM wrote:

I am seeing the same trend flying from Memphis to LV.  For 3, the lowest I can get for mid June is around $950 total.  Will probably just go ahead and book because it will probably only get more expensive...Especially flying on Thursdays...For some reason Thursdays are more expensive.  

If you book, check prices every once in a while. If prices c o me down, you can change to the lower price

an get a travel fund  good for future use.

bec102896
Aviator A

@BigCTM wrote:

You could try booking point to point and it could come out cheaper. 

Example book MEM-DAL-LAS on the website you can book this using the multi city function. 

-Blake 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Right now, demand is increasing but capacity is still very limited due to the scheduled changes made because of the pandemic. This means prices will rise until capacity is increased. Unfortunately, it's unclear right now when Southwest will began adding flights back to the schedule, but I expect it will be 3rd quarter, hopefully, 4th quarter likely.