Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Would I be stupid to book this?

Biancanoel177
Explorer C

I made a post on here a few weeks ago when I cancelled my flight for Mar.21st to Ft Lauderdale. Since then, ive been looking at flights just to see what the prices are at. My ideal time to rebook would be for August because I go back to college in September and I get really busy so it would be hard to find time for a trip then. August I would still be on break so it would be perfect. Anyways, this morning I was looking at SW flights for August and found some really good deals, specifically for the week I was hoping to go. Would it be really stupid to book a flight right now with everything going on? Even if its months away? If things were still really bad and it wasnt safe to travel at that point, would Southwest give me travel credit again?

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Would I be stupid to book this?

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you cancelled your flight after March 1, your travel credit will be good thru June, 2021.

IMO, fares for future flights will drop as the virus situation continues.

bec102896
Aviator A

You could always book now and if you decide later that you don’t want to travel for one reason or another you can cancel and your funds would still expire the same date of your funds you applied to this new reservation. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There are some great prices out there right now for travel many months from now so thinking ahead is a great idea.  If you book this trip using travel funds you currently have then cancel again, the expiration date of the travel fund will remain the same so just be aware by then you may be getting close to the expiration date, depending on when you made the original purchase which determined what the expiration date is. If purchasing with 100% cash and you cancel you will receive travel funds that expire 12 months from today or whenever you make the purchase.

I really hope we're back to "normal" by August and you'll be able to enjoy the cheap flight you found. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Biancanoel177 wrote:

I made a post on here a few weeks ago when I cancelled my flight for Mar.21st to Ft Lauderdale. Since then, ive been looking at flights just to see what the prices are at. My ideal time to rebook would be for August because I go back to college in September and I get really busy so it would be hard to find time for a trip then. August I would still be on break so it would be perfect. Anyways, this morning I was looking at SW flights for August and found some really good deals, specifically for the week I was hoping to go. Would it be really stupid to book a flight right now with everything going on? Even if its months away? If things were still really bad and it wasnt safe to travel at that point, would Southwest give me travel credit again?

Thanks 

Southwest always offers travel funds for canceling your flight without a change fee - that is the everyday policy. 

The funds expire one year from the date of original purchase.

It is an exception right now that travel funds will be extended if they expire during the current outbreak. TBD if they would continue extending travel funds this August, but it is possible if things are still dire.

Anyway, if you are locking in some <$50 fares and worst case is that you lose it maybe it is worth having something to look forward to.

China is coming out of their own quarantine now four months later.  If the USA goes Mar, Apr, May, June with stay at home maybe things will be returning to normal by August?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.