Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Zero concern for Physicians/providers required/desire to care for the sicj

Markgardner81
Explorer C

Physicians, nurses, medical personnel are all cancelling there flights and plans to care for sick. I had to cancel flights for April 4 to Florida for a family of 5. Cost over $3300.

After multiple calls, Southwest leadership stated clearly this will not change their refunds. Credit for one year. Complete loss is early bird funds of over $300.

I will survive this financially. I am working everyday in hospital to help others. Southwest now becomes a company that has jeopardized moral code to save money for their leadership. But these same people fully expect people in the medical field to put their lives on the line to treat thousands of southwest employees. And we will. We will do the right thing 

Shame on Southwest Airlines for their self serving policies and hurting the American people. I hope the stimulus dollars will not be provided to Southwest because of their poor policies that hurt American people 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Zero concern for Physicians/providers required/desire to care for the sicj

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you had changed your flight to a placeholder date in the future, then reschedule again to the your desired travel dates once you were able to determine them instead of canceling, you would not have forfeited EarlyBird Check-In.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Zero concern for Physicians/providers required/desire to care for the sicj

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To the OP: Your fund's expiration date is now actually June 30, 2021, although that won't be reflected online for a few weeks.

@TheMiddleSeat's placeholder booking suggestion is a good one, for anyone not wanting to immediately lose their EarlyBird Check-In fee's paid. Be aware that, if you later find that you do need the extra long expiration date period (June 30, 2021), you'll still need to cancel before May 31, 2020.

Also, everyone should be aware that, if Southwest cancels your flight (including rebooked ones) you can request a full refund, including EBCI fees. You may initially be offered travel funds, but you can insist on a refund -- if necessary, cite DOT guidance and/or the Southwest Contract of Carriage.

For those that forfeited their EBCI funds, you may want to reach out to Customer Relations -- reports are they may offer a small amount of Rapid Rewards points as a goodwill gesture.