Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

booking whole row

chaser555
Explorer C

I'm flying with an infant under 2 years old. Am I guaranteed the whole row if I book two tickets? Even if child is on my lap entire time? Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

Re: booking whole row

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chaser555 wrote:

I'm flying with an infant under 2 years old. Am I guaranteed the whole row if I book two tickets? Even if child is on my lap entire time? Thank you

If the two ticketed passengers take the window and aisle seats in a row, the answer is yet.

Remember/ Southwest does not reserve seats. It provides boarding assignment numbers and people board by that number. Then they can take any seat that they want to take.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@chaser555 wrote:

I'd say yes. Since Southwest is only selling 2/3rds of the plane, you should have the whole row to yourselves. I recommend you sit in the aisle seat and "save" the middle seat with the child's belongings or your bags during boarding. If someone asks if the window is taken, which is unlikely, just tell them yes, that you bought a seat for your child. (I'd mention this to the flight attendants too, if the opportunity comes up.) Good luck!

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I would agree, you have two paid tickets, therefore, your child has the right to a seat.  In this case, do as suggested, place them by the window, and then you can sit in the aisle seat.   Most people will see that someone is in the seat and shouldn't ask about the seat, but if they do, just inform them the seat is taken.  If your preference isn't to have the child by the window in flight, once they close the doors to the plane you can quickly move to the window and then place your child in the middle seat to be by them.  

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, although it depends on when you are flying -  middle seats are guaranteed to be empty until October 31 at present, so after October 31 you may no longer get a full row to yourself. However, it's possible that the date will be extended, and it's also possible that flight capacity will be 'down' for quite awhile (rest of this year), so if you're flying from now until end of year at least I wouldn't worry too much about it. The chances are high that you'll have a row to yourself.

--Jessica