Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

cancelling one passenger that is not a rewards member

poohbear71
Explorer C

Hello everyone. Need a little more clarification on this topic. I ordered two wanna fly tickets under my rewards account (did not use points). I know if I cancel one or more tickets it will become flight credits and appears this is tied to ticket holder name not the purchaser or account holder so they do not all go to me. I read there is loopholes where you can upgrade so that the tickets become transferable. But what if the other ticket holder is not a rewards member and will not do so? What then happens to the credits and any way for me to get them back? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: cancelling one passenger that is not a rewards member

dfwskier
Aviator A

When a ticket for a non Rapid Rewards member is cancelled, the funds are retained using the confirmation number and passenger name.

Whether  a RR member or not, the person would need to use the travel fund to book a Wanna Get Away plus ticket and then cancel that ticket, in order for the travel fund to be used by someone other than the original ticket holder.

I guess there is nothing to prevent you from using the confirmation number and passenger name of the other passenger to use the travel fund book a WGA+ ticket for the other passenger. Then you could cancel that ticket - thus giving you a new travel fund which could be used by anyone.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

In order to utilize the loophole and complete a transfer, both people involved with the transfer need to have a Rapid Rewards account. Simply have the person who does not have an account sign up for one, then use the loophole. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

When a ticket for a non Rapid Rewards member is cancelled, the funds are retained using the confirmation number and passenger name.

Whether  a RR member or not, the person would need to use the travel fund to book a Wanna Get Away plus ticket and then cancel that ticket, in order for the travel fund to be used by someone other than the original ticket holder.

I guess there is nothing to prevent you from using the confirmation number and passenger name of the other passenger to use the travel fund book a WGA+ ticket for the other passenger. Then you could cancel that ticket - thus giving you a new travel fund which could be used by anyone.

The member still has to have a RR account to transfer it specifically to someone else, the other member can't use the travel fund only by knowing the confirmation number and name.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jeanettew wrote:

Hey there! I am a new member aboard. So, just to clarify please, if one member has travel funds with RR (Southwest Airlines), can they transfer it to another member? Or does the other member need to have their own RR account to access and use the travel funds?
Thanks!

The ticket holder can either have non transferable travel funds (from Wanna Get Away tickets)  , or transferable travel funds (from Wanna Get Away Plus tickets.)

As described up thread, the ticket holder has a way of converting non transferable funds to transferable funds.