Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

change of flight by southwest

BlazekBrenda
Explorer C

Ok Im gonna tell you a little about this I booked a flight in July from Nola MSY  to Chicago MDW for 9-24-2021 my son/daughter in laws first baby shower staying 4 days I always book NON -Stop because of a bad experience I had on a southwest flight yrs ago returning 9-28-2021 NON- stop I get a email today from south west stating they changed my return flight non stop 2hours 20 min to a layover in Atlanta 5hours 22min to get to Nola I have to take medication just to fly because I have panic attacks and now they went and did this to me im sick to my stomach crying called southwest they can't do anything about it I tried switching my dates 3 days up 2 days back they don't have any non stops thats one complaint I have,  in June my mothers sister died my favorite aunt the last living soul of my moms family I flew to Chicago paid 568 for two round trips non stop she passed on June 9th I was to stay a while  after to visit with family my return flight was June 21st on jun 11 my girlfriends dad passed

away while in Chicago on June 13th my cousin passed away in Chicago on June 20th my 19 yr old daughter back home in Nola was put on oxygen she was hyperventilating an

ambulance driver administered oxygen her fiancée just died in a car crash so we wanted to

get home asap afraid my daughter would have a nervous breakdown we called southwest no

problems they say give us another 632.00 dollars we had no money for that my son had to pay it I was starting to panic because my daughter was home alone she's on anti depressive

medication and losses her fiancee we needed to get home we explained this all to southwest all they said is I'm sorry for your loss I would like to know what happened to my second half of the round ticket I never used they told me they do not owe me anything I'm so upset with southwest not only for that but now changing my non stop I would rather fly Spirit now than south west I don't care about the luggage ill pay for my bag to get a non stop, southwest has wronged me not once but twice in 3 months boo to you south west airlines .

6 REPLIES 6

Re: change of flight by southwest

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sounds like you have been through a lot.

there is a lot to unpack in your post and I am confused. The only time I can find anything about an unused return ticket is right near the end. What trip is that from.?

BlazekBrenda
Explorer C

the trip in June went to Chicago for a family death had 2 more die while I was there then the call about my daughters fiancee death had to get home asap !

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you contact Southwest within 72 hours (I think it's 72 hours?) of them changing your flight you should be able to change it to another flight between the same two cities for no additional charge.  Since you are seeing a price increase if you try to make the change online you should call Southwest to request the change.

--TheMiddleSeat

BlazekBrenda
Explorer C

Thank you, I did call them they said no non stop flights I was willing to change return dates to move it up a week or back but nothing !

bec102896
Aviator A

So with Nrw Orleans the hurricane has had a major effect on flights and unfortunately it looks as if southwest has modified flights in/out of MSY though October 2nd. 

Since the airline changed your flight you can change to another flight with sane city pairs free of charge no fare difference required. Also because of the current situation in New Orleans Southwest is allowing those traveling to/from New Orleans between now and October 2nd to fly to another airport with no difference in fare. You can fly to Houston (IAH OR HOU), Jackson MS (JAN), or Pensacola (PNS) pet fees to MSY are also being waived. 

You should be able to change your flight on the app or website however if you get an error you can reach out to Southwest on Facebook or Twitter in a DM or reach out to reservations for assistance 800-435-9792 

-Blake

BlazekBrenda
Explorer C
Solution

Blake I never fly unless it offers a non stop flight I'm scared of flying I booked this flight in early august and now they rerouted my return flight normally 2 hours 22 min now they are sending me to Atlanta 5hours 22 min I don't like going up but now I have to go up twice and takes two hours longer there is another non stop flight but it states I have to pay 228 dollars more per person that sucks I already paid once southwest changed my flight I did  not so thats not fair ?