Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

constant cancellations, changes

buzzchris
Adventurer B

Is anyone else having this issue with SW constantly changing your reservations? There are four of us traveling together, business, and our confirmation numbers are tied together. At least they were supposed to be. We just got our seventh change in less than four weeks. Plus, SW split us up!   Our original go home flights were early evening. That got changed to late afternoon which we adjusted our business meetings but it was a tight squeeze. Now they changed it to 7AM!  What is going on with all these constant changes? It creates havoc on business plans. Our boss got fed up with SW and went with United. He and his group, flying United, have not had a single change.? 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: constant cancellations, changes

bec102896
Aviator A

I feel your pain several flights I have booked for October have been changed 5 times as well but it looks as they continue to update the schedule based on demand for flights because they don’t want to send out empty planes and they are also having to move people from over sold flights because Southwest is blocking middle seats through at least October (something United isn’t doing so they have a few less changes to make) 

If you are not satisfied with the new route you can either look at the schedule and change to another flight with no fare difference collected or you can request a refund to the original form of payment. You can reach out to reservations at 800-435-9792 and they can assist you. 

-Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Yes, it is irritating and yes it is causing lot of complaints. 

It is happening because the airline decided to keep a rather full schedule in the expectation the the public would start flying again. When it became obvious that was not going to happen, Southwest pared the schedule - causing cancellations and rescheduling. Rinse and repeat multiple times.

Further, it seems that the rescheduling system is not very smart. The programming that is causing crazy reschedules frankly, sucks. The programmers should be hung by their worthless thumbs.

Remember, that after you have been rescheduled, Southwest will allow you to make one no cost change to your reservation (same originating and destination cities, but different days are allowed). If you do that and the airline changes things again, then you'll be allowed one more no cost change, etc, etc.

If you are fed up with the process, you may request a full refund - even if you bought a non refundable ticket.

Cherrilips
Explorer C

I had a major change in my itinerary.  Southwest cancelled the 1st leg of my flight to Aruba and didn't let me know!!!  I just happened to be checking my flight and noticed it.  I could not believe it!! When I called, the agent said I would have to pay an additional fee to change my flight, which I refused.  After being on hold 1 hr and 45 min, I finally got through with an agent who was very accommodating and did not charge an additional fee.  Unfortunately, there were no flights leaving my area on the morning of the 2nd leg, so I have to leave a day early, and stay overnight in Baltimore, which now adds a hotel stay.  Talk about screwing things up!!  According to customer service, I happened to check before they could inform me, which they intended to do, once they adjusted my flight.  Like WOW!!! 

buzzchris
Adventurer B

plus I found out that when SW changed my flight, I lost my early bird special on my go home flight. I thought that went over automatically.  ?  After about an hour and a half with an agent, I got my early bird back.  The agent was real nice but she was extremely frustrated with the constant changes,.and people yelling at  her on the phone. One of the SW pilots I know well said things have gotten "horrible" at SW especially the schedule changes. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Doesn't surprise me.

Even USA Today is beating Southwest up

https://www.yahoo.com/news/guess-southwest-invented-time-travel-100042019.html

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Slow news day!!  

buzzchris
Adventurer B

Regarding the news article: I had  a flight change.  I had a connecting flight in Burbank CA but it was three hours earlier than the departing flight,  (same day).all in the same time zone. I wanted to be on that flight to see how they accomplished that time travel. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

My flights are constantly changing and are being moved around - but in my experience the changes are almost always positive, and/or I have the ability to change the flight for free if I don't like the change SW made, and get a better flight 🙂 

--Jessica

redli7
Explorer C

Yes!  Booked a non stop roundtrip SEA to PHX for October.  

August 11 got a change to the return flight with a layover in SAC, adding hours to the total flight time. Re-booked on another nonstop, and on 8/19, they changed that non stop we chose to a one stop and layover in SAC again, so we have cancelled the trip and rebooked on another airline.  If you aren't truly offering the flights, don't show them on the schedule. Opening seats hoping for higher paying fares?