Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

flight prices

flgirl29us
Explorer C

does anyone know why southwest flights are so expensive right now? All other competitive companies are a lot cheaper...

6 REPLIES 6

Re: flight prices

SWDigits
Aviator A

What route & dates?  Southwest has an extensive route network.

Customer | Home airport DCA

flgirl29us
Explorer C

TPA to LAX in june

SWDigits
Aviator A
Have you taken a look at the low fare calendar for the route? You can see it here: https://www.southwest.com/air/low-fare-calendar/select-dates.html?adultPassengersCount=1&currencyCod... Day, time of day, routing, etc. all impact pricing. Be sure to factor in fees on other airlines. With all of that said the initial pricing I see on the low fare calendar wouldn't scare me away from Southwest.

Customer | Home airport DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Airlines adjust prices based on supply and demand.  If Southwest's prices truly are higher than other airlines it's because they feel like they can get the higher prices based on the current demand.  Those planes aren't flying empty.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@flgirl29us wrote:

TPA to LAX in june

@flgirl29us wrote:

TPA to LAX in june

It's the beginning of summer vacation travel. It looks like SW has hiked prices for summer travel starting Sunday June 7. They'll go back to "normal" about the third week of August.

SW frequently prices flights far in the future high, and if seats are not   sold, reduces prices as time passes.

If the fare drops, you can trade a high priced ticket for a lower priced one and get the difference in a travel fund you can use later. Unlike other airliens, SW does not charge you for doing this.

So, IMO you have three options:

1) Buy a SW ticket now and watch to see if the fare drops. If it does, trade in your ticket.

2) Don't buy anything now, just watch 

3) Buy a ticket on a competing airline

I checked Dallas to Chicago, and starting 6/7/20  (continung to mid August) the lowest fares are more then 350% higher than the lowest fares in the month leading up to that date.

Happy travels to you.

edit add: another thing you might want to do is look at flights into other LA area airports to see if they might be cheaper.

bec102896
Aviator A

When they announced the MAX flights being cancelled in the summer they raised the prices because some were taking advantage of a "blanket waiver" that was put in to place for 3 days. I suspect the price may go down later on like after the next schedule extension. 

-Blake