Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

how to change my flight destination only

newbie23
Explorer C

I have a round trip flight booked. I want to change the arrival date and destination but I want to keep the original return flight arrangements.  Original flight was arrival and departure out of Ft Lauderdale... but I need to edit  to arrive in Jacksonville but  still depart out of Ft Lauderdale for the return flight.  Is that possible?? I've been trying to call SW customer service but was on hold for over an hour.. I tried to do it online but i couldn't change just the 'destination' .. any suggestions??

thank you 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

Re: how to change my flight destination only

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Use the change flight option online.  You will select the first leg of the trip to change, make your changes and leave the return leg as is.  No big deal.  You can log into your account and select the trip or just click the change/cancel button on southwest.com

If there is a fare difference you will either need to pay the additional price or receive a credit in the form of a travel fund which you can use on a future flight within a year of when you originally purchased the flight you are changing.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I just re-read your original message which indicated you could not select a different destination city.  That doesn't make sense, you can normally change the flight to any other flight, going anywhere.  The other option is to cancel the first leg of the trip and use the travel funds to rebook the new flight.  It would be a separate reservation, but that's not a problem.  Again, all these options should be available to you in the change/cancel page.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

You can change it on line.

Log on to your account. Pick the trip in question. Pick change flight. It'll give you the opportunity to change one or both flights.. Select   the outbound flight, leaving the return flight unchanged.

You will have the opportunity to change that one flight - either destination or date of travel or both. If the new flight costs less you'll get a credit. If it costs mere, you'll have t pay the difference. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Actually, no. You can't change it online.

You cannot change online the destination of outbound leg only of a round trip. (If you select only the outbound to be changed, you'll see the arrival airport "grayed out" -- unable to be changed.) You can change the initial departure airport, but the destination city will remain the same as the return flight's departure. (Accordingly, you can't change the departure airport on the return leg of a round trip either. )

You'll need to call and have the change made for you, or have the round trip split into two one-way flights, and then make the desired change to the outbound flight yourself.

Customer Relations should be able to split the reservation for you. Reaching out to them via Twitter or Facebook Direct Message is likely quicker than calling Customer Service.

Contact Customer Relations 

Alternately, as suggested above, you could cancel only the outbound portion of your flight, then book the flight to the new destination using the travel funds from the canceled flight (paying any additional fare difference if necessary.)

dfwskier
Aviator A

I stand corrected..

Easiest for you: Cancel the outbound leg, leaving the return in place. You'll get a travel fund.

Then book a 1 way ticket between the cities you want. using that travel fund 

There will be no price difference between doing this and going thru SW to change the outbound leg

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Spoiler
Thanks for the correction @chgoflyer, I guess that's yet one more reason to book trips as separate one way flights. That must be why I thought it would be no big deal since I have completely changed trips instead of canceling.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SouthwestChange wrote:

And pay applicable fee.

Southwest does not charge a fee to change or cancel a reservation. If the new fare is higher than  the old onev then you have to pay the difference. If the new fares is lower than the old one, then you get a travel credit.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SouthwestChange wrote:

here are the step...

Very tricky spam link there, nice try!

@cheyenneallgood @AshleyMainz 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.