Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

travel fund flight discounted can I get a refund

GirlieSC
Explorer C

In April I noticed a change in price for my flight and I received a travel voucher for it.  In June I had to cancel the flight due to Covid so I received another voucher.

In July I booked another flight and used the vouchers and had to pay extra for the flight cost.  Today I noticed the flight is way cheaper then it was before.  Am I able to get another voucher for the cost difference?  It's about $185 difference.

If I try and change the flight online it will let me do it but the price says nothing changed.  I'm not sure I want to cancel as I dont want to lose my travel funds that I already put towards this new flight.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: travel fund flight discounted can I get a refund

dfwskier
Aviator A

@GirlieSC wrote:

In April I noticed a change in price for my flight and I received a travel voucher for it.  In June I had to cancel the flight due to Covid so I received another voucher.

In July I booked another flight and used the vouchers and had to pay extra for the flight cost.  Today I noticed the flight is way cheaper then it was before.  Am I able to get already put towards this new flight.

Any ideas?another voucher for the cost difference?  It's about $185 difference.

If I try and change the flight online it will let me do it but the price says nothing changed.  I'm not sure I want to cancel as I dont want to lose my travel funds that I 

Let's get the terminology right so we don't confuse people who might read this later.. When you changed your flight in April, you got a travel fund. When you cancelled your flight in June, you got another travel fund. You then used those travel funds to buy another ticket in July.

If that flight is now cheaper, Southwest allows you a no cost  change (to the same flight at a lower price if you want). When you do that, you'll get another travel fund .for the difference between the old and new prices.

To do that log on to the SW website. Click on my account. When you do that all flights you have booked will appear. Pick the one you want to change. You'll be given the option to cancel or change the flight. Pick change  and proceed as if you were buying a new ticket.

The reason I wanted to clarify the terminology is that Southwest also provides vouchers to passengers. The rules applied to vouchers are different than those applied to travel funds.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@dfwskier wrote:

@GirlieSC wrote:

In July I booked another flight and used the vouchers and had to pay extra for the flight cost.  Today I noticed the flight is way cheaper then it was before.  Am I able to get already put towards this new flight.

Any ideas?another voucher for the cost difference?  It's about $185 difference.

If I try and change the flight online it will let me do it but the price says nothing changed.  I'm not sure I want to cancel as I dont want to lose my travel funds that I 

Let's get the terminology right so we don't confuse people who might read this later.. When you changed your flight in April, you got a travel fund. When you cancelled your flight in June, you got another travel fund. You then used those travel funds to buy another ticket in July.

If that flight is now cheaper, Southwest allows you a no cost  change (to the same flight at a lower price if you want). When you do that, you'll get another travel fund .for the difference between the old and new prices.

To do that log on to the SW website. Click on my account. When you do that all flights you have booked will appear. Pick the one you want to change. You'll be given the option to cancel or change the flight. Pick change  and proceed as if you were buying a new ticket.

The reason I wanted to clarify the terminology is that Southwest also provides vouchers to passengers. The rules applied to vouchers are different than those applied to travel funds.

@dfwskier's very good advice is mostly on point, and applies to "normal" times, when things are functioning as the usually do.

But right now, Southwest has announced massive flight changes, and when they do that their system allows flights within a certain time frame (even if not affected by the changes) a completely free change, regardless of any increase in fare. This unfortunately also means that if your flight has decreased in cost, you cannot recover any of the difference using the "change" function.

What you'll need to do is cancel the flight completely, then rebook using the travel funds from the cancelled flight. Your difference will be held under the travel funds confirmation number -- you can see that amount shown in your account (although it may not be updated immediately).

If you do this, 1) make sure that the flight you need is available and at the desired fare before cancelling, and 2) be careful with your expiration dates.

Hope this helps!

dfwskier
Aviator A

good points chgoflyer.

I was presuming the flight was not impacted by the blanket "ok to change" option.