Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

traveling with unvaccinated puppies

bpivo
New Arrival

I belong to a dog rescue and am considering flying from Maryland to Georgia to pickup 2, 9 week old puppies.  They are too young for vaccines.  Would they then be denied if I have paperwork from a vet saying they are healthy and have had an exam by him the day before?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: traveling with unvaccinated puppies

dfwskier
Top Contributor

You'll be fine. Just be sure they are in a carrier that will fit under the seat.

First time away from their mom? They are likely to cry a lot, which might annoy other passengers. You could be proactive by putting a ticking clock in the carrier (reminds of mom's heart beat) or maybe a hot water bottle you could fill with hot water after you clear security.

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I do not think Southwest's pet policy requires pets to be vaccinated.  They do need to be at least 8 weeks old.  You can read the whole policy here: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/traveling-with-animals/pets/index-pol.html

I'm guessing the requirement that pets stay in a carrier for the entire trip does allow them to not require vaccinations.

--TheMiddleSeat

bpivo
New Arrival

The first sentence of that policy says "small vaccinated" which is what lead me to question whether they will allow them to be brought on at all.

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Oh yeah, I guess it does say that, lol. I don't see a requirement for paperwork or documentation so use your best judgment. 

--TheMiddleSeat