Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: wanna get away flight

dannybreaux
New Arrival

Not true. My flight is oversold by 4 seats.

Absolutely terrible to be stuck out of town because of Southwest irresponsibly over selling flights. Will never fly Southwest again

parpitt1

Southwest does not over sell flights but does change plane types, although SWA flies all Boeing 737's they also fly different series' of the 737. 737-700 series has 143 seats(for sure) while a 737-800 series has 175 seats(I believe.)

If the physical plane changes from an 800 series to a 700 series they will be short seats and this can be perceived as over selling, since a sold out plane will be short seats.

Today's issues with seats can be correlated to what I would call a "hangover" from 737-800Max problems which delayed delivery of many planes and has forced SWA to keep older 700 series planes on routes planned for 800 series planes as well.

Safe travels 

dfwskier
Top Contributor

as said above by parpitt, Southwest does not SELL more tickets than it has seats.

Also as said above, Southwest could have had to substitute a smaller plane for a larger onev- thus leading to an "oversold" condition.

There is another way that could happen. Southwest might need to get crew members to another airport so that a flight can operate (no crew=no flight). If the flight is already full, Southwest might be forced to remove some passengers from the plane to make room for the crew members..