Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

3 new destinations

dfwskier
Aviator A

Myrtle Beach, Eugene,, Oregon, and Bellingham, Washington - announced a few hours ago.

I guess you could say that Bellingham is another ski destination, with Mt. Baker just down the road. It should see a fair amount of traffic from north of the boarder, just as Buffalo does on the east coast.

edit add— it appears that southwest is going after Alaska airlines turf.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 3 new destinations

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Still waiting for actual Canadian destinations, but Bellingham is pretty close.  Very surprised and impressed Southwest keeps adding cities!

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

IMO, You’ll have a long wait for Canadian destination. Why. Taxes.?

Plagerized from another site. How much more will taxes be on a Vancouver Denver flight than on a Bellingham Denver flight.?

They're not chasing northern Washingtonians with BLI - it's Canadians, with Customs fees arbitrage. Here are the U.S. fees avoided by departing from BLI vs. YVR:

United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA)
$3.96
United States Customs User Fee (YC)
$5.99
United States Immigration User Fee (XY)
$7.00
US International Arrival Tax (US)
$38.20 “

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sure, Vancouver may not make sense, but I would love to get to Calgary and other cities a bit further from the border. 

--TheMiddleSeat

MikeyV
Explorer C

Does anyone know if NY/CT to Myrtle Beach is going to be an option? My group has been waiting for a major airline to start direct service. Spirit seems to be the only one doing it on a regular basis. Golf season starts in March in Myrtle so hopefully it won't be just summer service. Thanks for any info. MikeyV.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@MikeyV Destinations for the 3 newly announced cities have not yet been announced.  Stay tuned!

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@TheMiddleSeat @dfwskier   But you would think Toronto would be a good fit, just over the borderline and Montreal.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MikeyV wrote:

Does anyone know if NY/CT to Myrtle Beach is going to be an option? My group has been waiting for a major airline to start direct service. Spirit seems to be the only one doing it on a regular basis. Golf season starts in March in Myrtle so hopefully it won't be just summer service. Thanks for any info. MikeyV.

The announcement said service would start in time for summer vacations. If that happens,

you won't find flights to Myrtle Beach in March, April or May.   Sorry.

The next schedule update is set for April,22 - subject to change. Just keep checking.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Exciting news!!

--Jessica

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

It has been on my bucket list to go to Eugene and run on the trails that the great, Steve Prefontaine, ran on.  But whenever I was in Eugene it was passing through.  Now I can plan a trip just for this.  I'm totally impressed SWA.