Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

40 or 60 minute layover midway in november

Hinterlands18
Explorer C

We had a direct flight get changed with a layover in Midway in mid-November. The two options that we have are 40 or 60 minute layovers-- or take a very long layover with two little kids. The 40 minute one is a much better time, but we are worried about how tight that turnaround is. Has anybody experienced tight layovers in Midway and have any recommendations? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: 40 or 60 minute layover midway in november

bec102896
Aviator A

I Just have a layover in Midway yesterday of 55 minutes I arrived 10 minutes early on my first flight so a told of 65 minutes (including the deplaning and boarding on the next flight which started 30min before the flight) I went from gate B2 to B22  I was able to stop at the restroom and get food at big city chicken which had a line of seven people and walk to the next gate with five minutes before boarding. had my 1st flight been on time instead of early and I would have stopped then I would have arrived mid boarding so personally I would go with the 60 minutes layover because you never know how far of a walk you will have between gates and in case  do you have a delay  you don’t want to jeopardize missing your flight.  And if you get the dreaded gates A4A or A4B to the B terminal that’s a bit of a hike and 40min will go very fast then again you could get lucky and get a plane change where you connection departs next door and 40min will be good timing. 

Personally I’d go with the 60min but if the 40min gets you where you need to be at a better time then go for that because you can’t ever predict delays. 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

The downside to a tight connection at any airport is that you might end up getting to your connecting flight after boarding starts and your A boarding position has evaporated. Thar's not a huge problem this November as middle seats will still be open and everyone will get an aisle or window seat. 

You could be unlucky enough to arrive at Midway gate B20 and leave from gate A20 and  be in for a very long walk.

Hinterlands18
Explorer C

Super helpful- thank you very much!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Hinterlands18 wrote:

We had a direct flight get changed with a layover in Midway in mid-November. The two options that we have are 40 or 60 minute layovers-- or take a very long layover with two little kids. The 40 minute one is a much better time, but we are worried about how tight that turnaround is. Has anybody experienced tight layovers in Midway and have any recommendations? Thanks!

MDW is my home airport so I haven't ever had to make a connection there. 

I do fly with family a lot including two young kiddos - if you are depending on Family Boarding to get your crew on the aircraft then I'd lean towards the longer layover in order to allow for some extra wiggle room that you don't miss family boarding. 

Will you make your flight either way? A: yes if everything is on time. Even the A4A to end of B concourse can be done before the doors close in your scenario. But allowing for some delay in deplaning it's conceivable that you would miss family boarding time or make it but be stressed about it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I echo the recommendation for the 60 minute one; I would do that even if I were traveling solo. Midway is not that big, but there can be a pretty significant spread between Southwest gates.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Hinterlands18
Explorer C

Thank you, I appreciate it!!

RobinHood
Explorer C

Thanks for the valuable information!!!

aostv