Re: $500 gift card for $450 ... from Costco

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Nice deal, thanks for sharing.

--TheMiddleSeat

strgth
Adventurer B

The SW Community has so ingrained in my brain that purchasing points isn't worth it that I'm now questioning if a 10% discount is a good deal.

Can a gift card be used to pay for taxes and fees if using points for the flight?

If cancel a flight, does the refund go back to the gift card or as travel funds?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@strgth I'm a strong believer that buying points is a HORRIBLE idea. Gift cards are a different story though if you don't mind tying up the cash or have an immediate trip planned. You can pay for the entire flight, including taxes, with a gift card just like a credit card. Refunds are held as travel funds with the same expiration and usage rules as any other travel fund.

--TheMiddleSeat

strgth
Adventurer B
The Costco gift card has no expiration but once you use it for air fare, then the travel funds policy kicks in and the funds expire?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The portion of the gift card used takes on the regular rules regarding travel funds just like when you use a credit card to purchase a flight. Any unused portion of the gift card remains on the gift card with no expiration.

--TheMiddleSeat

mpmmnok
Explorer C

If you purchase this with a SWA credit card do you get RR points?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's treated like any other purchase.

--TheMiddleSeat