7 REPLIES 7

Re: $500 gift card for $450 ... from Costco

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Nice deal, thanks for sharing.

--TheMiddleSeat

strgth

The SW Community has so ingrained in my brain that purchasing points isn't worth it that I'm now questioning if a 10% discount is a good deal.

Can a gift card be used to pay for taxes and fees if using points for the flight?

If cancel a flight, does the refund go back to the gift card or as travel funds?

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

@strgth I'm a strong believer that buying points is a HORRIBLE idea. Gift cards are a different story though if you don't mind tying up the cash or have an immediate trip planned. You can pay for the entire flight, including taxes, with a gift card just like a credit card. Refunds are held as travel funds with the same expiration and usage rules as any other travel fund.

--TheMiddleSeat

strgth
The Costco gift card has no expiration but once you use it for air fare, then the travel funds policy kicks in and the funds expire?

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

The portion of the gift card used takes on the regular rules regarding travel funds just like when you use a credit card to purchase a flight. Any unused portion of the gift card remains on the gift card with no expiration.

--TheMiddleSeat

mpmmnok
New Arrival

If you purchase this with a SWA credit card do you get RR points?

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

It's treated like any other purchase.

--TheMiddleSeat