Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

6 month passport validity rule for Mexico?

denversouthwest
Explorer C

Hello! 

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Cabo from Denver September 6-11. Both of our passports are good through 2022, so we thought we were all set.

I was talking to a friend who is a flight attendant about our trip and she mentioned that many countries require your passport to be valid for 6 months from your departure date.

My passport expires February 28 (6 days shy of the 6 month mark)

My boyfriend’s expires January 26 (a month shy of 6 months).

We didn’t realize this is a rule and upon my own research everything says that Mexico does not have this rule, yet it’s up to the discretion of the airline. 

Past discussions on this don’t give a concrete answer.

Can anyone confirm if we will be okay to fly? Or do we need to cancel our trip or see if we can get an appointment at our passport agency for the expedited service? 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: 6 month passport validity rule for Mexico?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

According to the documents checker tool at https://www.southwest.com/html/air/intl/international-travel-documents.html

Mexico does not have a 6 month requirement and Southwest does not appear to have a universal 6 month policy for all international travel like some airlines do. You may want to Contact Customer Relations to verify. 

--TheMiddleSeat

denversouthwest
Explorer C

Hey there! Thanks for responding.

So I did try using that form you linked to check, but didn’t see any information about their 6 month policy or an error message of any kind after plugging in my passport info and travel dates.

I spoke to one representative on the phone yesterday who told me “6 months.” Then the second I spoke to today told me they don’t have a policy, and I’ll be fine to fly, and to check the state.gov website just to be sure (which states Mexico does not have a 6 month rule). 

I also sent an email asking if they had a policy, this was the response:

“Visitors traveling as tourists or on business must have a printed Multiple Immigration Form (FMM) upon arrival: passengers with passports valid for less than 6 months, must obtain the form from the transporting carrier or at international transit areas of airports; passengers with passports valid for a minimum of 6 months can obtain the form at www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/cn/solicitud.html.“

So needless to say, I am confused! 

Calling the passport office now to get their opinion. From what I’ve read online, no one has had issues with this, but I’m a bit worried about showing up at the airport and being turned away. I wish there was a clear policy listed somewhere. I may try to call again in a few days if I don’t get an answer here. 

thanks ! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You didn't see the rule in the online form because there is no rule.  If you select a country other than Mexico you will see the rule appear.  I used France in my test.

Based on your email from the State Department... worst case scenario you fill out a form on arrival?  I'm not sure why this continues to be a question.  Please come back after your trip and let us all know how the beaches were.

--TheMiddleSeat

denversouthwest
Explorer C

My reason for concern is because a flight attendant friend told me it’s a requirement for their passengers and employees when flying to Mexico. But this is for Delta which I understand is more strict with this policy. Anyway that led me to researching online and not finding a clear answer / reading about experiences of travelers to Mexico being turned away because of this rule which made me nervous.

and then, having two representatives give me conflicting info is why I’m still confused! I just don’t want to show up the airport and be turned away 

aegreen17
Explorer C

Checking in here if you had any issues.  I am travelling in two weeks and just realized that my passport expires in two months. 

Appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Thanks!

denversouthwest
Explorer C

I was totally fine! As was my bf who I was traveling with. I printed out the info I received from Southwest along with state.gov and some other official government sites that state there is no law for this in Mexico just in case. But I had no problems and didn’t even need to show them anything.

It may be different at each airport, but they only checked it at the ticket/check in area, then the gate agent just wanted to see we physically had our passport with us before boarding. No questions about it on board or with customs in Mexico. 

aegreen17
Explorer C

Thank you so much!

aegreen17
Explorer C

Sorry to bother you again.  May I ask which airport you flew to Mexico from?  I have found all of the same documentation that you have, and even spoke to the US Passport Agency who said Mexico doesnt have the rule, but that they airline has the final say.  I spent an hour on the phone with Southwest, and the agent ended up calling the airport I was flying from (BWI) and they said that they have the 6 month rule, and I would be turned away from getting on the plane.

Yet, as you said, the checker and info everywhere else seems to say this shouldnt be a problem.  Ugh!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@aegreen17 I'm not sure why called and created additional confusion for yourself. You can choose to believe a phone agent who is probably great at making and adjusting reservations but not fluent with all the details of international flights or you can read there is no policy and listen to the experience of others who interacted with the actual gate agents who deal with international flights on a regular basis.

--TheMiddleSeat