Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: 6 month passport validity rule for Mexico?

denversouthwest
Explorer C

Yes I flew from DEN to Cabo!

I also called, and was told by one agent that there was a 6 month rule. Then I called again, and was told by a separate agent that there is no Southwest policy. He put me on hold several times and it seemed like he was checking with multiple sources, so that made me feel better. He was actually the one that told me to just check state.gov to confirm any requirements. I also emailed multiple times and was basically told the same thing, they don’t have a policy, and it’s my responsibility to make sure I’m abiding by the country’s passport laws.

I was super worried about it because of my Delta flight attendant friend, but I realized that was just a Delta policy because they don’t want the liability of dealing with passengers being turned away at customs. Southwest has no policy on this - at least it’s nowhere to be found online, and based on the inconsistent responses I received from everyone I spoke to, I think this further supports that there is no policy.

denversouthwest
Explorer C

Also - I don’t know what it’s like at BWI. But at Denver you go through the kiosks to check in internationally and you have to scan your passport on the machine. At our time of travel my passport was only a few days or weeks shy of 6 months. My boyfriend’s had maybe 5 months or just shy of 5 left.

I assumed when we scanned them if there were any issues, it would have alerted me on the screen. Mine went through fine, my bf’s wouldn’t scan for some reason, which freaked me out. But once we checked our bags in they just manually entered it and it was all good. That was the only time the expiration date was checked 

aegreen17
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the help both of you!  Will prepare as you said, and hope for the best!!

Tschleiffer
Explorer C

Did you encounter any issues with your trip regarding your passport expiration date?